NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your day job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your day job?
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:10pm
And what's your relationship to writing?  

I'm the assistant to an eccentric real-estate guy (landlord/appraiser).  My hopeful forever job is screenwriting, someday!  (Or, marry rich and eat bon-bons).

Even if it never pans out... writing makes me happy.

I wrote short stories for several years (well, all my life, but more frequently/seriously beginning in college) before I dipped my toes in screenwriting, and fell in love.  The freedom to just say what happens and not worry about making it sound beautiful is my favorite!

Edited by MissKeister - 04 Dec 2018 at 1:25pm
gertojeda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote gertojeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:22pm
I am an Auditor. Numbers are my life. Writing crappy scripts keeps me sane. That and lots of scotch.

lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:59pm
Day Job #1: Mom to two boys and a furbaby

Day Job #2 (The paying one): Pharmaceutical market research consultant. I interview doctors, nurses, managed care people, patients, and anyone else related to healthcare. (Nurses are my favorite to interview. Cardiologists my least favorite). And then I synthesize what they tell me and write a report. I'm used to dealing with ridiculous deadlines and making quick business decisions, so the contest requirements aren't really a foreign idea for me.

Through college, I wrote a lot of poetry and then gave it up when I realized it would never pay the bills and I needed to focus on climbing the corporate ladder. (I was very "all or nothing" back then).

And then I hit 40. In the midst of a quasi mid-life crisis, I decided to go back to everything I used to love. I joined a women's softball league and discovered I was still capable of hitting hard line drives. And then I stumbled on this crazy NYCM Flash Fiction contest via a facebook pop-up ad and decided to try my hand at writing again. That was two and a half years ago. And life hasn't been the same since! Smile

Edited by lisafox10800 - 04 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:59pm
I’m a corporate writer. I write, edit, and distribute instructional communications to employees in a large company. The communications themselves are pretty cut-and-dry (things like “To sign up for health benefits, complete these five actions by Dec. 1.”). But a big part of the job is editing down unwieldy text to get to the heart of the message; for instance, I frequently have a 100-word maximum. I think this has helped me be more economical in my writing when it comes to opportunities like The Short Screenplay Challenge and (especially) the Flash Fiction Challenge.

I would like to be a novelist. I had never written a screenplay before this challenge, but I have had some stage plays I’ve written performed at festivals, and I am slowly but surely plugging away at a young-adult novel. 

I also produce a monthly comedy show and regularly perform improv. One of my teams performs a format called The Movie, where we improvise films and TV shows in a variety of genres, complete with calling out (and acting out) camera angles, transitions, musical score, etc. We spend a lot of time studying film, and I think this has helped me understand screenplays a little. 

Edited by jdadams1 - 04 Dec 2018 at 9:11pm
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by MissKeister MissKeister wrote:

And what's your relationship to writing?  

I'm the assistant to an eccentric real-estate guy (landlord/appraiser).  My hopeful forever job is screenwriting, someday!  (Or, marry rich and eat bon-bons).

Even if it never pans out... writing makes me happy.

I wrote short stories for several years (well, all my life, but more frequently/seriously beginning in college) before I dipped my toes in screenwriting, and fell in love.  The freedom to just say what happens and not worry about making it sound beautiful is my favorite!

Bon-bon eating is a noble pursuit. Wink
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
I'm a middle school math teacher in Alaska. My students provide lots of inspiration and drama for my writing LOL!

I have always loved reading and writing. I saw a FB ad for the NYC midnight contests and signed up for the FF contest this summer. The rest is history! I'm now addicted.

Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

I have always loved reading and writing. I saw a FB ad for the NYC midnight contests and signed up for the FF contest this summer. The rest is history! I'm now addicted.

Exactly what happened to me!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
I'm a professional Luddite, which is interesting given I work in IT.  No Facebook, but I have a signed (First Edition, I think) copy of Robert McKee's 'Story' from when I took his seminar at UNLV in 2003 and he mentioned NYCM in one of his email blasts.

I also have one of Anne McCaffery's books signed when she was in Berkley back in the mid 80s, which is kind of fun.  To paraphrase her, writing is my 'comfort book' when the world closes in.  Like the title of an episode of Twilight Zone, it's a World of my Own.
This sig intentionally blank
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:49pm
the "story" seminar was good as hell

dayjob crowd VFX for commercials
J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm
Advertising creative director/copywriter. Work samples at www.jasonfox.net. Best known in the industry for being @leeclowsbeard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>