NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenplay Title

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screenplay Title
    Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:35am
Does it really matter if my screenplay title happens to be the title of a movie that has already been produced?

My title is an Aboriginal word, Kanyini and I think the title works perfectly but just discovered it's the title of a documentary!
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:52am
I doubt it! I think I have even seen entries that have the title of an existing movie. I really doubt the judges would even know of an existing aboriginal documentary (sorry, judges!) LOL

Edited by thesaura73 - 02 Dec 2018 at 2:52am
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:05am
This might not help much, but you could always add a 2 after the Kanyini!
I am rarely much help when I am still this wound up, I was 10 before I found out my name was not, "You little bastard".
PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:35am
Originally posted by thesaura73 thesaura73 wrote:

I doubt it! I think I have even seen entries that have the title of an existing movie. I really doubt the judges would even know of an existing aboriginal documentary (sorry, judges!) LOL

I don't think I should limit my concern to just the title...there's a slew of cultural references in there that make it risky but I'd rather it be authentic than not!  We'll see.
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:30pm
Helen, yours is awesome. I wouldn't worry!
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:58pm
If the title you're using is relevant to the script and you feel it's a perfect fit, then go with it. I doubt the judges even give thought to existing films with the same titles. Just as they should not give any thought to budget, right? I got dinged by a judge who claimed I wrote a terribly expensive script. So what? I told a compelling story at the same time. Budget shouldn't matter here. And your title should accurately reflect what you wrote. Just my 2-cents worth.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

...I got dinged by a judge who claimed I wrote a terribly expensive script. So what? I told a compelling story at the same time. Budget shouldn't matter here. ...

TO MY MIND THIS IS TOTALLY OUT OF LINE.

I am not you, nor am I telling you what to do, but this is unacceptable. This is a contest and a spec script that should be a compelling, fantastic, grab-you-by-the-ankles-and-yank story. 

Geez, that comment is terrible.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

...I got dinged by a judge who claimed I wrote a terribly expensive script. So what? I told a compelling story at the same time. Budget shouldn't matter here. ...

I am not you, nor am I telling you what to do, but this is unacceptable. This is a contest and a spec script that should be a compelling, fantastic, grab-you-by-the-ankles-and-yank story. 

Oh, I wrote and voiced my complaints... I wasn't going to let that one slide by. :)
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:19pm

Oh, I wrote and voiced my complaints... I wasn't going to let that one slide by. :)

You got Matlock to turn into Madlock. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

You got Matlock to turn into Madlock. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???

What!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>