NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthology Submissions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthology Submissions
    Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 4:07pm
Let's get this dang party started! Tongue

If you're interested in being included in the FLASH OF BRILLIANCE anthology, send your FFS from Rounds 1 or 2 as a Word doc to:  submissions@tebradford.com

New word limit is 1500, so all those notes about expanding on this or that can be handled! Let's use all the same general guidelines as the original contest entry, just to keep things easy and clean.

I will be collecting and giving stories out to our "judges" who will recommend based on:
A) Ready for publication right now
B) Great, but needs a little more work
C) Not quite ready

I'll try to have at least 2-3 people read each submission to be sure we're being fair, and I'll also try to look them all over myself as well. Then we'll reach out to everyone to let them know results. Since we're all writers, I'm very hopeful we'll have some excellent recommendations.

Submissions open through 12-31-2018!!!

Be sure to shout this out to the other authors who might not have seen the other topic thread yet! Good luck everyone! Again!!!  Big smile
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 8:05am
Are you limiting this to one entry per writer, or can both R1 and R2 entries be sent?

Not that I'd send both (I totally will--maybe). Just... asking for a friend. LOL
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
Any round 1 or 2 or just this current contest?  Just to complicate things.
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Are you limiting this to one entry per writer, or can both R1 and R2 entries be sent?
Not that I'd send both (I totally will--maybe). Just... asking for a friend. LOL

Feel free to send both! :) Not sure how many submissions we'll get, so only one might get accepted, but I'd rather have too many great stories than too few. Send away!

Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

Any round 1 or 2 or just this current contest?  Just to complicate things.

Any story entered in the NYC Midnight Flash Fiction Contest (regardless of which year/season). The only exception would be winning entries from previous years. I don't want to cross over anything that may still be under some kind of contract with NYCM.
SheriLS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheriLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:07pm
What's the plan for the cost of publishing this thing, distribution, and royalties?
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:29pm
Only ones from people that didn't move on, or any? Also I second SheriLS's question.
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 6:18am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Only ones from people that didn't move on, or any? Also I second SheriLS's question.

From memory these issues were mentioned in other threads on the anthology. My understanding is that

The anthology is open to submissions of stories developed here at NYCM, either in competition or not.

Submissions may have been revised in the light of forum reviews and judges' feedback, but must be 1500 words or less.

We do it for love, art and name recognition; any monies it earns will go into marketing, costs, etc.

I've read the NYCM contract carefully because I'm planning independent publication of a collection of my own work: we own the copyrights to our work and may do as we please in this regard, after judging if applicable. The only risk is that NYCM publishes a story online for PR (they can) and a reader finds it in a paid-for anthology and gets annoyed: too niggly to worry about, methinks.

Hope this helps, and Tracy, do please correct this if wrong,

Good luck y'all,
Pat (I've submitted Death at the Creamery because, being a mystery, it doesn't fit my SF collection.)

Edited to add: Oh, and I think it'll be a Kindle e-book.Tracy's done those before and she can be found on Amazon.

Edited by Talespinner - 20 Nov 2018 at 6:24am
Ch3 NC story SF/hospice/armband
Ending; Happy?
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:39am
I adore the title! Exciting, game on!
FFCCh#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
SSC R1 H117 The Price of Fire
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 10:01am
I know I own everything with NYCM, but I'd want there to be contracts for this. If we're not getting paid, it ought to be clear that while this blows FRNASR so most places won't pay for it, we'd have the right to immediately republish anywhere else with or without crediting the anthology as place of first publication and that no one involved has any rights to the story except its author.

I also think you're being a tad optimistic about making enough to cover costs if you're including the "editors'" time and are going to do any sort of effort on cover art, never mind marketing. To get a GOOD cover, unless you know a graphic artist who works for free (any good one will say no), it costs at least something to buy a generic from someone who knows what they're doing. It might make more sense to run a Kickstarter to make sure the people running the project don't wind up completely out of pocket and no one has to resort to Photoshop covers and free marketing options only. 
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by SheriLS SheriLS wrote:

What's the plan for the cost of publishing this thing, distribution, and royalties?
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I know I own everything with NYCM, but I'd want there to be contracts for this. If we're not getting paid, it ought to be clear that while this blows FRNASR so most places won't pay for it, we'd have the right to immediately republish anywhere else with or without crediting the anthology as place of first publication and that no one involved has any rights to the story except its author.

I also think you're being a tad optimistic about making enough to cover costs if you're including the "editors'" time and are going to do any sort of effort on cover art, never mind marketing. To get a GOOD cover, unless you know a graphic artist who works for free (any good one will say no), it costs at least something to buy a generic from someone who knows what they're doing. It might make more sense to run a Kickstarter to make sure the people running the project don't wind up completely out of pocket and no one has to resort to Photoshop covers and free marketing options only.

As Talespinner noted so well (thanks Pat!!!), we’ve had conversation about these points in the Anthology Anyone topic, if you wanted to peruse. Here’s the link: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/anthology-anyone_topic19483_page1.html

To try to recap, the cost for publication will be zero because we will be putting the book up on Amazon KDP ourselves. We already have several volunteers to help out, with different people helping to coordinate different aspects. Formatting and quality of work will rely primarily on the authors themselves, using the same method of providing feedback to each other after posting our stories to help find those pesky areas where we can tweak, correct and improve upon.

Similarly, getting word out about the anthology will rely on each of us reaching out to everyone we know to let them know it’s available and gearing up for a launch. The more attention we can drum up for the release, the better the rankings on Amazon, and the more visibility the book will get.

Any and all earnings made on the book will be reinvested back into marketing / advertising. The intention is to use these brilliant little gems as a way to drum up attention for the talented writers that gather here. There isn’t too much being given away for free, because they are flash fiction, and having many authors grouped will hopefully add to the appeal for readers / buyers.

My intent was to have a bare-bones contract with Non-Exclusive rights (meaning the author can continue to submit and/or publish their story in any way they see fit), noting that all earnings will be reinvested into marketing. This protects us all from a tax perspective as well, as the book will never have any actual earnings – basically it will show as a perpetual loss or break-even so that no taxes will be owed.

The cover art could be tricky, but we’ve had some lovely suggestions from other contestants on how we can do that at low to zero cost, namely in having some art students submit pieces that we can then choose from (or veto) as possible images for the book. Should this fail completely, I do have several resources that offer book covers at very reasonable rates ($30-50 for custom work, cheaper if a premade cover can be used). So I’m actually quite optimistic this won’t be an issue.

In my opinion, the lion’s share of the work will be formatting for publication, which will rely on our volunteers, including myself.

Hope this answers everyone’s questions. Please do check out the other thread for more Q&A, as we went through several topics in depth over there.

If anyone would like to volunteer, please drop me a quick PM to let me know and I will add your name to our list.

Thanks everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>