NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The worst pep talk ever.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ajacunski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:10am
I absolutely loved this pep talk. 

"You could accept the pure simple truth of writing: it is work."

I think that's something with which a lot of writers (especially new writers) struggle. It's not about ~*~inspiration~*~, it's about sitting down and doing the work: the writing, the editing, the re-editing, the scrapping, the critiquing, all of it. Pretending it's sunshine and rainbows all the time isn't helpful to anyone's long-term growth as a writer.

Ride the highs, but slog through the lows, because you have to get through them to get anywhere.
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:21am
As a pep talk, it ain't very peppy. What it is, however, is spot-on truth. I totally agree with almost everything she said!
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by ajacunski ajacunski wrote:

I absolutely loved this pep talk. 

"You could accept the pure simple truth of writing: it is work."

I think that's something with which a lot of writers (especially new writers) struggle. It's not about ~*~inspiration~*~, it's about sitting down and doing the work: the writing, the editing, the re-editing, the scrapping, the critiquing, all of it. Pretending it's sunshine and rainbows all the time isn't helpful to anyone's long-term growth as a writer.

Ride the highs, but slog through the lows, because you have to get through them to get anywhere.

Agree totally. There is always one point in any given writing session when I look at what I’ve done and say “This isn’t even readable. I’m the worst writer that ever lived. Everyone who has complimenting my writing is LYING to me.”

Then I finish the draft and it’s better. Then my husband reads it and it’s better. Then I actually like the second (or third or fourth) draft. But I always have to stare down the dragon of my own self-doubt first, and that’s the part that SUCKS.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
SassHonore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SassHonore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:32am
I thought it was great. I think a lot of people start NaNoWriMo and are shocked at how hard it is and how painful it can be, and I saw this pep talk as a way of assuring those people that they are normal, and that just because it sometimes sucks doesn't mean you're not meant to do it and doesn't mean you don't have a worthy story to tell. I know that when we read published books we are often blown away, and I am super guilty of thinking, "UGH, I wish I could write like that." But that book got through dozens of people, including professional editors and readers, before it got to me. There was a lot of pain and exhaustion and things that went into that book. At this point in NaNoWriMo, a lot of writers who've never attempted this before are thinking, "I must not be cut out for this, otherwise why would it be this hard? All the authors I read make this look so easy."  I saw her message as being one of, "You're not alone if you're having a hard time--this is hard for ALL of us." 

Edited by SassHonore - 13 Nov 2018 at 12:00pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:43am
I don't usually read the NaNo pep talks, mostly because, more often than not, they do noting for me, but I went and read this one for the sake of discussion. As someone mentioned, not peppy. Truth? Perhaps.

I think more importantly it is best to recognize that the process is different for everyone, and everyone's truths are subjective.

Am I sometimes frustrated and plagued by self doubt? Indeed. Is writing hard work, require diligence, perseverance, and a tiny bit of bravery? Absolutely. Do I thrive on that challenge? Without a doubt. 

Even when I fail, I learn valuable lessons. Sometimes the writing is complete drivel, but still cathartic.

Personally, I'd never say "writing sucks" - just because something is hard doesn't make it bad.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by SassHonore SassHonore wrote:

I thought it was great. I think a lot of people start NaNoWriMo and are shocked at how hard it is and how painful it can be, and I saw this pep talk is a way of assuring those people that they are normal, and that just because it sometimes sucks doesn't mean you're not meant to do it and doesn't mean you don't have a worthy story to tell. I know that when we read published books we are often blown away, and I am super guilty of thinking, "UGH, I wish I could write like that." But that book got through dozens of people, including professional editors and readers, before it got to me. There was a lot of pain and exhaustion and things that went into that book. At this point in NaNoWriMo, a lot of writers who've never attempted this before are thinking, "I must not be cut out for this, otherwise why would it be this hard? All the authors I read make this look so easy."  I saw her message as being one of, "You're not alone if you're having a hard time--this is hard for ALL of us." 

I think you've done the best job of explaining why her pep talk doesn't entirely "suck"! Thanks!! Clap

When I was in middle school, my mother (who's best handled in very small quantities) was always saying, "Don't bother getting involved in anything. It's all pointless." And I didn't know it at the time, but I wanted her to take my hand and say, "Look, there's an opening in the drama club after school, why don't you join?" This pep talk from Ireland reminded me way too much of Mother. Negativity, gloom and doom, why bother, just quit and don't try. I still don't care for her pep talk at all, but I'm glad some of you took something from it! Star

< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
SassHonore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SassHonore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I thought it was great. I think a lot of people start NaNoWriMo and are shocked at how hard it is and how painful it can be, and I saw this pep talk is a way of assuring those people that they are normal, and that just because it sometimes sucks doesn't mean you're not meant to do it and doesn't mean you don't have a worthy story to tell. I know that when we read published books we are often blown away, and I am super guilty of thinking, "UGH, I wish I could write like that." But that book got through dozens of people, including professional editors and readers, before it got to me. There was a lot of pain and exhaustion and things that went into that book. At this point in NaNoWriMo, a lot of writers who've never attempted this before are thinking, "I must not be cut out for this, otherwise why would it be this hard? All the authors I read make this look so easy."  I saw her message as being one of, "You're not alone if you're having a hard time--this is hard for ALL of us." 

I think you've done the best job of explaining why her pep talk doesn't entirely "suck"! Thanks!! Clap

When I was in middle school, my mother (who's best handled in very small quantities) was always saying, "Don't bother getting involved in anything. It's all pointless." And I didn't know it at the time, but I wanted her to take my hand and say, "Look, there's an opening in the drama club after school, why don't you join?" This pep talk from Ireland reminded me way too much of Mother. Negativity, gloom and doom, why bother, just quit and don't try. I still don't care for her pep talk at all, but I'm glad some of you took something from it! Star
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

Ooooooh, yeah, I can definitely see how this pep talk would have brought back some negative memories. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:06pm

Ooooooh, yeah, I can definitely see how this pep talk would have brought back some negative memories. 

Thank you! Yeah! I showed the pep talk to my dad (who divorced my mom several decades ago), and he was like, "Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like this pep talk!" 

But I was genuinely surprised that other people did like it. It's hard sometimes to separate one's experiences from everyone else's. I guess it's all part of the weirdness of life, or whatev. Big smile
robosagogo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robosagogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
I liked the pep talk myself. I think a lot of people get discouraged from writing because it doesn't live up to their unrealistic expectations, namely that they'll be able to sit down and just type a story out from start to finish without any hiccups.

The question of why writing is a worthwhile practice remains open-ended for me, though. Sometimes it feels like it is, and sometimes it feels like it isn't. That said, I'm probably more of proud of the entire collection of stories I've written than I am of anything else I've done.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:53pm
I just reread this "pep" talk, as I stare at a blank Word document and try to beat the day's Nano words out of my dozing brain. I think what she's saying is, the ACT of writing sucks. And yeah, maybe "sucks" wasn't the best term, but it's relatable, right? In this case, I take it to mean

The act of writing is work

the act of writing is hard

The act of writing will kick you in the ass and not stop to take your name

The act of writing will leave your stomach in frustrated knots

But at the end of all of that, when you're no longer writing but staring at something that you've WRITTEN, it's worth it. What's that quote? Anything that's worth doing won't be easy, and anything easy isn't worth doing. Something like that. Writing's hard, yo. And, yeah, sometimes it SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

All right. Enough procrastinating.

Edited by chrissie0707 - 13 Nov 2018 at 2:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>