NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge 3 info/details

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:46pm
another thing that is different this go around is that the likelihood of someone dropping out in challenge 3 is pretty small.  People have their eye on the prize and are sticking with it.  Also, most of the competitors are somewhat experienced writers.   In the first two challenges, you can count on most groups having some newbies or people with raw talent but who haven't had to work under pressure before.  But usually by the time you hit the semi-finals the only real individual issue is if someone faces a personal problem or they get a genre or other prompt that they just can't get a handle on.  

May the prompts ever be in your favor.  
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 3:48am
this is my first time in the comp, and I’m super excited to be writing again this weekend :) I have noticed that the final round is over my weekend on call, so even I did somehow drag myself through challenge 3 I’d be pretty much unable to write challenge 4 other than a most cursory effort hahaha!! 

I’m mostly excited to see the stories everyone produces, since the caliber has been amazing over the last two rounds :)
FF23 Rd1 - Special Frame Diner
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 1:20pm
MUCH TERROR MUCH EXCITE

that's all I've got for now. Confused
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 1:27pm
Though actually I do wonder...is the beta-ing just as plentiful this round? I have a feeling I'm going to need it about 50x more than usual.
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by hanalyst hanalyst wrote:

is the beta-ing just as plentiful this round?

I'm wondering the same thing! I'm happy to beta for you unless we end up in the same group! Tongue
Micro 100 2020: Downstream (5th overall)
Micro 250 2022: What We Lost in the Tide (9th overall)
GGreen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
I'm so nervous! I don't know why as I have already done what I set out to do, which was to use the competition to kick start my creative writing. I hope I can just enjoy this round and the forum feedback. I'm do excited to  get the prompts. The 48hr deadline has forced me to ask for help with my kids to give me time to write, and that's been an important precedent Trying to stay in my lane or I'm going to freak myself out!
Best of luck to everyone,
George
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:37pm
How do we feel about making a new/fresh challenge 3 beta thread?
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by GGreen GGreen wrote:

I'm so nervous! I don't know why as I have already done what I set out to do, which was to use the competition to kick start my creative writing. I hope I can just enjoy this round and the forum feedback. I'm do excited to  get the prompts. The 48hr deadline has forced me to ask for help with my kids to give me time to write, and that's been an important precedent Trying to stay in my lane or I'm going to freak myself out!
Best of luck to everyone,
George

George, nerves are kicking in here, too. Smile Good luck this weekend!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:26pm
I got to the semis last time but didn't make the finals. Like a dummy, I tried to do two contests on the same weekend. Needless to say, I crashed and burned in both.

Now, I'm about to get on the last leg of a flight after an insanely intense 2-week business trip. Figure that by the time I get to Seattle, they'll have announced the prompts and I'll have two hours to think about them on the drive home. And hopefully I can wake up in the morning and crank out something worthy of a trip to the finals. We'll see!
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:34pm
Good luck everyone :)
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>