NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback is Upon Us!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:33pm
I got the infamous judge 1807 this round.   I think the critique is solid --except the one about my object (crossbow) seeming like a throwaway object i completely disagree with.   There was a little bit of conflicting input from the judges --one judge loved the side comments and random details and another said i should have cut back on her internal monologue, but that seemed within the realm of differing tastes.

One thing i thought was confusing---my feedback on ch 1 story was very positive with even some gushing  and i scored a 7.  This time?  If i'd gotten the feedback before the score i would have assumed a zero rather than the 14 it scored--my needs work comments were quite a trouncing.  
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:34pm
1807 is infamous? Exclamation
FFCCh#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
SSC R1 H117 The Price of Fire
Maddoris View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm
The feedback from my judges was rather schizophrenic. 

I got this from one judge: What a wonderfully paced comedy with humorous, quirky dialogue.

And then these two comments from a second judge:   I really enjoyed the quirky conflict in this piece   &   I didn't really find it funny. The premise is really actually quite awful, and the (MC)'s reactions are just low key and pragmatic. All that together is not a strong recipe for comedy.

But it's clear that I lost points because at least one judge didn't think I was successful with the genre component, so that is helpful in its own way.

I guess this is why everyone hates being assigned comedy!
LaraH View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

1807 is infamous? Exclamation

Let's just say they have a distinctive style.  That is often not favorable.     Other than saying my object was a throwaway, i don't particularly disagree  with their assessment, and they actually said complimentary words about my writing style, but they do have a reputation round these parts.

robosagogo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robosagogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by KelsNotChels KelsNotChels wrote:

One judge said they didn’t buy that a frisbee to the throat could kill someone... but, like, it’s science, and it 1000% could. So... 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:24pm
The only critiques I received for both rounds this year were along the lines of “you should have included more x” which to be honest, I don’t find very helpful. I would have loved to include more back story about a particular character, or done more worldbuilding, but I only have 1000 words, dammit. For what they want to go in, someone else would have to be cut. If they said “you didn’t need to linger so long on x, why not talk more about y?” I would have found it far more helpful.

also had a judge with no criticisms so yeah I’ll take that haha 
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:29pm
My positive feedback was all character-based, which made me happy, because I was really banking on the MC pulling this one out for me, and the negative was pretty nit-picky, which is fine, because I can be nit-picky, too.

I will say that this is now the second challenge I've done where I've gotten feedback that I should phrase things more simply, because "flicked a glance" instead of "glanced" only "serves to distract the reader a little bit and put attention on the writer's unusual choice of words instead of on the story itself."

*shrugs*

Edited by chrissie0707 - 08 Nov 2018 at 5:45pm
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

Do we know how many judges there actually are? Is each group assigned a different set of judges? I'm not sure I ever read anything other than "they're anonymous."

I've asked here: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/who-are-the-judges_topic19473.html. No response. I see little reason to respect their judgement, sadly. 
Ch3 NC story SF/hospice/armband
Ending; Happy?
HR Garcia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HR Garcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
Again, I seem to have not received the email from NYC. During submission, I had to ask them twice to send the confirmation before they did saying "Well we did send it but here it is again". I received the email saying results were in, but nothing from judge's feedback. I'm a little frustrated with their system. (I did email them asking for the feedback email, we'll see what happens).

Has anyone else not received the feedback email?
sdre017 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdre017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
I didn't know about 1807's rep, but I thought one of my judge's feedback was a bit... unhelpful, and looking at it again, it's from 1807!

This is what they gave me: 'While I admire the thought behind the reversal at the end, I can't help but wonder why your protagonist took the long road to interviewing the subject. Is it possible that he overcomplicated his task? I found it curious that this guy (whomever he is and whatever his job may be) assumed that the female candidate (for what I'm guessing is an espionage job) would "be  fearful...panic,  or  cry." If he has such low expectations (not to mention poor instincts), why did he go to such excessive lengths to see if she has what it takes? Since you've written this piece from the guy's first-person P.O.V., I would suggest adding little aside along the way that subtly cue us in to his role behind the scenes; little internal comments that indicate he knows more than he's letting on. That way, when the reader reaches the end, they will experience a conclusion that is EQUALLY surprising AND inevitable.'

So basically, nothing that really helps me in terms of how I write, just more of an opinion of the actual story. the 'long road' to interviewing the subject? Because that's how 'the corporation' in my story do their interviews. Plus it would completely derail the whole story to change it. Same with the next comment about my protagonist having 'poor instincts' and 'low expectations' when I think that the reaction of the candidate to be fearful is totally understandable when you're being abducted! As for the 'subtle hints' - there are subtle hints in the fact that he doesn't really have much of a reaction, just gets on with it - but they must have been too subtle because the judge missed them. If they were any more obvious, it would detract from the OMG ending completely - it's near impossible to be EQUALLY surprising and inevitable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>