NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SidewaysSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm
Hey - I'm consistent. Both my stories received 7th place - 9 points each for 18 total.
Not enough to move on, but a fun ride, for sure. 

Thanks for all the feedback in the forums here. Fellow writers are more valuable than gold...

Happy writing!
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Sir Simon’s face fell as he scanned through the names...
All plans for a sequel had gone up in flames.

Zero points for me. I have to say I’m absolutely devastated given how favourably both my entries were received on the boards by you kind souls.

I should clearly stick to poems and screenplays.

Just... gah.

I'm sinking in the same boat with you, Tim. Glad to have good company, though of course, I'm sorry you're stuck there too. Hope you can swim!

Andrea, Tim, please do not be disheartened. They misunderstood my story too with a narrow, dogmatic understanding of the art of story-telling. Absent the list of judges we were promised, I seriously wonder what qualifies them to judge our work. My experience is that the forum feedback is more helpful to me as a developing writer than are the judges. 

Keep writing, and sharing with positive thinkers who grasp the art of story-telling.
Pat
Ch3 NC story SF/hospice/armband
Ending; Happy?
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:00pm
To anyone not moving on - y’all wrote a lot of AWESOME, KICKASS pieces that I enjoyed. It doesn’t mean any of them weren’t “good enough,” it simply means that others were more successful in the specific judges’ eyes, this time around. I’ve heard a lot of success stories on this forum, of stories that didn’t move on here going on to be published. A lot of you have been doing this longer than me, so maybe this is how the forums go after results are posted, but I just want to congratulate everyone who’s moving on, on having success in these two rounds, and I want to congratulate everyone who’s NOT moving on, for still writing a full STORY in 1000 words and less than 48 hours. Keep positive. Y’all kick ass. 

Edited by chrissie0707 - 08 Nov 2018 at 3:09pm
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Talespinner Talespinner wrote:

Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

Zero points for me. I have to say I’m absolutely devastated given how favourably both my entries were received on the boards by you kind souls.

Just... gah.

I'm sinking in the same boat with you, Tim. Glad to have good company, though of course, I'm sorry you're stuck there too. Hope you can swim!

Andrea, Tim, please do not be disheartened. They misunderstood my story too with a narrow, dogmatic understanding of the art of story-telling. Absent the list of judges we were promised, I seriously wonder what qualifies them to judge our work. My experience is that the forum feedback is more helpful to me as a developing writer than are the judges. 

Keep writing, and sharing with positive thinkers who grasp the art of story-telling.
Pat

I was pretty shocked at some of my feedback as well, in that whoever at least one of the judges is, he or she doesn't understand flash fiction or the constraints of my chosen POV or human freakin' nature. I'm especially disappointed because the judges' feedback had improved in in the past year or two, post the Great Contestant Revolt of maybe three years ago. Ah well. I'll provide NYCM with my feedback on the judges and be done with it until SSC!
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Double 15's for me! guess my poor NaNo project is going to suffer this weekend.

Funny story: in my sleepy state I thought I was in group 79 (not 78) and couldn't find my name. For a few seconds I was convinced not only did I bomb this story, but it was so egregious that they took away my challenge 1 points too. 

I really shouldn't try to do the things before I coffee.

Well done and well deserved!!!

I'm hoping I don't have to be in your group next round. Tongue
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Cosima Cosima wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Double 15's for me! guess my poor NaNo project is going to suffer this weekend.

Funny story: in my sleepy state I thought I was in group 79 (not 78) and couldn't find my name. For a few seconds I was convinced not only did I bomb this story, but it was so egregious that they took away my challenge 1 points too. 

I really shouldn't try to do the things before I coffee.

I’ll drink to that!  🍸
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Cosima Cosima wrote:

right back at you - you came through this with a boatload of points yourself! Wink
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:28pm
When do the dates for the SSC come out? I'm considering trying that out - yay for a higher word count! But I want to do it right next time and actually devote the weekend to polish a piece instead of cramming it all together last minute. BUT. I have a ski trip planned in January and one in February and I think that's around the time that happens right?
FFCCh#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
SSC R1 H117 The Price of Fire
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by TeaWithWolves TeaWithWolves wrote:

Got 13pts for a total of 24! I'm thinking of it as an early 'golden birthday' (didn't even know that was a thing until recently) present, as I'll be 24 on the 24th of Nov!

Well done Zayne and well deserved -  happy golden birthday! Clap
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:05pm

Just... gah.

I find this so hard to believe...I loved both of your stories Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>