NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Published Authors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Poll Question: Are you a published author?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
68 [49.64%]
69 [50.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:29pm
Oy, you don't suspect there's any way for one to change one's vote, huh?

Asking for a friend.
Cassalass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cassalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:15pm
Lisa I just read your Twinkie political satire piece. It is gold! I don't know how people come up with ideas for this genre. I'm totally lost trying writing it but I enjoy reading it!
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Cassalass Cassalass wrote:

Lisa I just read your Twinkie political satire piece. It is gold! I don't know how people come up with ideas for this genre. I'm totally lost trying writing it but I enjoy reading it!

Thank you! Heart I had a lot of fun with that story and was so grateful to find it a home. I really appreciate you giving it a read!

I have been assigned political satire THREE times across the prose competitions. It honestly gets less scary to write each time.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
sslubliner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sslubliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:19pm
I have two self-published works available on Amazon: a satirical political novella, "Threeway," and a short interfaith holiday memoir, "A Child's Christmas in Queens." The latter is also available in audiobook. Here's a review of "Threeway." https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/steven-lubliner/threeway/

I've had several short plays produced at regional theaters in Northern California, one as a result of winning a contest through the Redwood Writers branch of the California Writers Club. I've also written for and performed with The Petaluma Radio Players. (Check out our submission guidelines if you have a radio play in you.) http://www.petalumaradioplayers.com/

Last year, I won the second place prize in Redwood Writers' crime fiction contest. You can read my story, "The Man in the Photograph" here. https://redwoodwriters.org/2018-crime-fiction-contest-winners/

Back in the '80s, I won some poetry prizes in college, $75 bucks total. (Why else write poetry?) I was also published in the Berkeley Poetry Review.

My greatest success occurred in 2006. I was runner-up in The New Yorker's weekly cartoon caption contest. (It was fixed.)

Steven Lubliner
2021 Short Story Challenge R1 In the Bag

DiMond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiMond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 3:21pm
I have unpaid short story publications on Commuterlit.com (hope it's okay to mention them?)  It's a not for profit e-zine in Toronto. You get feed back from readers and editors. Then last year a mag from California picked up a short story and paid in contributor copies. Which is one step in the right direction.  Maybe next will be actual money? 

Regardless of the lack of funds coming my way I write for the love of it and to hone my craft.  Once I've started, it's impossible to give it up. 
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by DiMond DiMond wrote:

I have unpaid short story publications on Commuterlit.com (hope it's okay to mention them?)  It's a not for profit e-zine in Toronto. You get feed back from readers and editors. Then last year a mag from California picked up a short story and paid in contributor copies. Which is one step in the right direction.  Maybe next will be actual money? 

Regardless of the lack of funds coming my way I write for the love of it and to hone my craft.  Once I've started, it's impossible to give it up. 

Congrats!
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:39am
The first story I did in NYCM was published yesterday in Copperfield Review. It's from round 1 of FFC 2017. Prompts were historical fiction, a work shop, a weight scale. The story sat in a drawer for more than a year, then I finally worked up the determination to make the revisions that were suggested here in the forum. Now I wish I'd gotten my butt in gear sooner. The story's called Little Tiger, set in Eastern China in 208 B.C.
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

The first story I did in NYCM was published yesterday in Copperfield Review. It's from round 1 of FFC 2017. Prompts were historical fiction, a work shop, a weight scale. The story sat in a drawer for more than a year, then I finally worked up the determination to make the revisions that were suggested here in the forum. Now I wish I'd gotten my butt in gear sooner. The story's called Little Tiger, set in Eastern China in 208 B.C.

Terrific news for a terrific story! Congratulations Jhill Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011