NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Draft 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:53am
dropping out competition twice because you exported a dud pdf that FD would do correctly without even thinking would already have cost you more than the licence
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

dropping out competition twice because you exported a dud pdf that FD would do correctly without even thinking would already have cost you more than the licence

There you go bringing economics into it.

The time you spend trying to get a tool ill suited to the job working correctly pays for the license as well [1].

[1]: At re:Invent last year I found myself in a moderately long line for a 'free' adult beverage.  Someone noted the length of the line, and the likely income of the persons forming it given where we were and what we do for a living.  A quick Fermi calculation yielded a combined annual income in excess of $2M*, all waiting for a free beverage costing $2.

* She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks re:Invent would be the perfect place for her college-mates (all female) given there are 40,000 mostly male, many single, socially inept IT guys who probably make a decent living.
This sig intentionally blank
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:28pm
should have asked one of the guys near the front to give you their drink! power move
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

should have asked one of the guys near the front to give you their drink! power move

SWMBO is that smart, I'm not.  Several years ago I took her to the Re:Play party.  The music was louder than flight operations on an aircraft carrier (I know these things) and the lines for food were as epic as the music was loud.  A huge gap formed in one of the lines as someone took too long to decide which slice of pizza they wanted; she jumped in and got what she wanted from the next table while the other 300 people waited patiently.

Sometimes it's good to be married to someone who sees the world differently.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Bump
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Bump

Yup.  If past performance is any indication of future returns I will use my (expensive) copy of FD 11 to successfully not make it into round two.

Basha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 11:55am
For the ssc I used Celtx and at the time I thought it was great because it's so intuitive, it basically teaches you how to write a script, and the 48hrs (which ended up being about 6hrs for my first round) gave me the push I needed to actually sit down and learn it. I had attempted to write one on there a year ago, but that was on my own time and I didn't really give myself the time I needed to figure it out, so in that way the contest was really great for me. 

Unfortunately Celtx is constantly asking you to upgrade and pay a ton of money annually. You can say no as long as you want to...until you write your third script and then it's no more free for you. I had the joy of finding this out right before the last round I was allowed to compete in, which is not the time to start researching what screenwriting software is the best one (that I could afford). So I used another email address to get another Celtx account for my last script.

I've recently purchased Fade In to continue writing scripts on my own and so far I really like it. The only thing I'm not loving is that when trying to import a script from Celtx it doesn't stay formatted as is. So I'm having trouble with that. But the price, interface, and intuitiveness are all to my liking...so far.  
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Basha Basha wrote:

For the ssc I used Celtx and at the time I thought it was great because it's so intuitive, it basically teaches you how to write a script, and the 48hrs (which ended up being about 6hrs for my first round) gave me the push I needed to actually sit down and learn it. I had attempted to write one on there a year ago, but that was on my own time and I didn't really give myself the time I needed to figure it out, so in that way the contest was really great for me. 

Unfortunately Celtx is constantly asking you to upgrade and pay a ton of money annually. You can say no as long as you want to...until you write your third script and then it's no more free for you. I had the joy of finding this out right before the last round I was allowed to compete in, which is not the time to start researching what screenwriting software is the best one (that I could afford). So I used another email address to get another Celtx account for my last script.

I've recently purchased Fade In to continue writing scripts on my own and so far I really like it. The only thing I'm not loving is that when trying to import a script from Celtx it doesn't stay formatted as is. So I'm having trouble with that. But the price, interface, and intuitiveness are all to my liking...so far.  

I used the Fade In before I got rich and thought I would buy the 10.  The Fade In worked great, I just had the urge to buy something for my new endeavor of screenwriting - like deciding to become a writer and buying the most expensive laptop you can find to try it out.  On top of that I had a few problems with the way the 10 was set up outa the box that caused me some loss of work and to enter the wrong work into the contest - but that could just be because I trusted that their setup would be good, never trust a vendor, lol.

Edited by Suave - 19 Mar 2019 at 9:43pm
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:31am
I'm still using Final Draft 7 on my old Windows 7 machine. It works fine for my needs. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Lol. So, they're up to 11 now? Wow.
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:41am
Originally posted by FMau FMau wrote:

You should be able to create a template in Word...
There are some pretty decent and well thought out Word templates already created and available on the Internet for free. However, if anyone is running Windows, then you can still locate the installer for Celtx standalone on several freeware/shareware sites. It does not stop working after the third script, as being standalone, it doesn't need to connect to the Internet or the Celtx website to stay functional. It's not perfect, but it formats your work close enough to Hollywood standards that it's worth the price... free!
:) (Note: there is no standalone installer for Celtx for Mac.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>