NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Draft 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:49am
Man, I am having a lot of troubles with the saving and working on files when I need to save as pdf and still retain the final draft for working.  Sent out the same wrong pdf to two beta readers while telling them it was the new and improved version.  I mean, maybe it is just me not paying attention, but I am pretty sure this sunk me in the earlier Short Screenplay contest of 12 pages.
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:58am
There are probably built-in tricks for this, but I just use the tried and true method: save as with a draft number. You're on Script 1.fdx, export to script 1.pdf, then save as script 2.fdx to keep working. It isolates both an fdx you can go back to quickly and a pdf synched to that point. Repeat as needed.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:18am
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

There are probably built-in tricks for this, but I just use the tried and true method: save as with a draft number. You're on Script 1.fdx, export to script 1.pdf, then save as script 2.fdx to keep working. It isolates both an fdx you can go back to quickly and a pdf synched to that point. Repeat as needed.

Yes, I am sure if I pay way more attention to what I am doing it would work out, but when am in the thick of things and saving an moving on I am always sure i have done it right, lol.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Yes, I am sure if I pay way more attention to what I am doing it would work out, but when am in the thick of things and saving an moving on I am always sure i have done it right, lol.

I try very carefully to save every version because just in case I go "WTF have I done here?" I can revert. My software also has version control.

But still I get out of synch.

I did get my final version PDF'ed and submitted. But I was at Version 16 and in my tracking I was only at Version 8, so somewhere I got sidetracked.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I try very carefully to save every version because just in case I go "WTF have I done here?" I can revert. My software also has version control.

I did get my final version PDF'ed and submitted. But I was at Version 16 and in my tracking I was only at Version 8, so somewhere I got sidetracked.

Now your talking.  I also like to save everything, backup backups.  This is where I run into trouble.

Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:53pm

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Now your talking.  I also like to save everything, backup backups.  This is where I run into trouble.

Well, I've upgraded to FD11 now for $99 and it is smoking hot!  Worth the upgrade. 

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 03 Dec 2018 at 7:54pm
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Good news:
  • The five page screenplay with title page did not blow up FD11

Bad News:

• All five pages sucked; the suckiness of the actual screenplay exceeded only by the banal suckiness of the title page.

Overall rating: It appears FD11 doesn't produce an output any better than that typed into it, which makes me wonder what value it provides.  If I get crap out from crap in I could use any formatting application out there.  The hope was there would be a button that said something along the lines of "Save as Masterpiece", but I couldn't find it. 

They charge extra for the anti-suckiness option of the application.

MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:58pm
I use Writer Duet.  Honestly, I just want a program that knows more about formatting than I do.  I lost my internet all Sunday through the deadline. The thought of writing without auto formatting was worthy of a horror script.  I just burned all my data on my cell and used it as a hot spot. 
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
FMau View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FMau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 5:16am
Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

I use Writer Duet.  Honestly, I just want a program that knows more about formatting than I do.  I lost my internet all Sunday through the deadline. The thought of writing without auto formatting was worthy of a horror script.  I just burned all my data on my cell and used it as a hot spot. 

You should be able to create a template in Word (something to keep you entertained over Christmas?). Create the styles (click bottom right corner of Styles) selecting and naming sections using the same Character, Dialogue, Action etc labels and parameters as the software on an existing screenplay you have in Word, Save As and select Word template from the dropdown, and that should work (I think it makes a .dotx file). It's partially automatic, after that, but you just need to select and click, at most. I haven't had to do this for a while, so my memory is rusty but here's a screenshot of the instructions from my editor when I last did it.
(and if it doesn't work......apologies.... but if it does, you won't need to burn your data.)

Windows: Go to File > Save as > Browse. From the drop-down menu, select Word Template and ensure the document is saved in the Custom Office Templates folder.
Mac: Go to File > Save as template.
It will now appear in the menu of template options the next time you launch a new document in Word. (In Windows, make sure ‘Personal’ rather than ‘Featured’ is selected at the top of the template menu.)

Step 2: Apply styles to your manuscript. The template has been set up with the main headings and sections in place so that it is straightforward to write into.

Follow these steps to apply styles to the manuscript in Word:
1. Open the Styles pane.
Windows: Click on the small square in the bottom right-hand corner of the Styles section of
the Home ribbon.

Mac: Click on the Styles Pane button on the far right-hand side of the Home ribbon.
2. Filter the list to ensure that only the relevant styles in use are shown.

Windows: Click on Options … at the bottom of the Styles pane. Then, under ‘Select styles to show’, select ‘In
current document’.
Mac: Select ‘Styles in Use’ from the List menu at the bottom of the Styles pane.

JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:44am
Having seen more than a few problematic PDFs converted from Word template screenplays, I would advise taking care to proofread the PDFs before sending them to anyone. Actually, that applies generally, no matter what the source "code." There's little sadder than being a judge, reading a really snappy script, and finding out it stops a page and a half too soon because the PDF conversion ate the ending.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>