NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Draft 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

Most tablets pair nicely with small Bluetooth keyboards. In many cases (iPad especially) they are built to act as covers too. I will be writing my entry on one tomorrow. Smile

How did it go?
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:46am

FD10 has been out for a few years.  I have been using Final Draft since Version 5 ... 1996?  Best thing ever ... it is second nature now.  I am considering upgrading to 11 ... you can try it for a month, which is pretty generous.  I wrote this entry on it and it was brilliant ... much more intuitive... the $79 upgrade fee is fair, considering it is almost a whole new package. 

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

FD10 has been out for a few years.  I have been using Final Draft since Version 5 ... 1996?  Best thing ever ... it is second nature now.  I am considering upgrading to 11 ... you can try it for a month, which is pretty generous.  I wrote this entry on it and it was brilliant ... much more intuitive... the $79 upgrade fee is fair, considering it is almost a whole new package. 

Fair unless you just bought the FD10 program, I just got another email trying to get me to upgrade to the 11 for $80 when I just bought the 10.  Ya it works, but so do the others.  I have found that trying to import into the FD is not all that easy if possible at all.  I have esportedin the pdf so that I could open it in grammarly but there is no way to get it back into the FD once I have made the checks and fix my errors, have to manually input it, u would think if it is the same pdf that you exported that it would open it, but not for me.  I tried opening some of the fade in files I had, same result.

Ioshkafu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ioshkafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 12:01am
Hi, I'm only an occasional creative writer and mostly a translator of movie scripts (from Italian to English). I do about 75% of my work on an iPad Mini (no external keyboard), in txt mode using Fountain markup... then once done, I import the "fountainized" script into Fade In and from there export to FDX (8) because most production companies here want the output in Final Draft and in PDF (generated by FD). 

The iOS apps of both Final Draft and Fade In are horrible for handhelds... so I use Notebooks which offers Connective Editing - an  idea of mine that ace programmer Alfons Schmid of Austria kindly implemented that makes most of the standard (meat-and-potatoes) Editing operations actually faster on a handheld than what's normal on a computer. 

Editing power is very important to me because translation is editing on steroids, the process being: load the original, read a portion, translate that portion, forward delete the old, move on to next portion and repeat... then Approx. 20K words later... "FINE"  gets translated to - "THE END" - and canceled. But that's only the beginning of the end, because now I have to take it to the top and put the job through a polish... now it's a bit closer to what you "creativi" do... in any case, it's English on English.

Anyhow... I'm a big Fountain to Fade In  aficionado... Fountain gives me the freedom to work on any device. (All allow txt mode). Then the iPad mini running Notebooks (with Connective Editing) allows me to work slouched in bed, in the car, al fresco at a cafe bar, strolling... and I mean WORK PRODUCTIVELY (5-6K words a day). 

Connective Editing has a very shallow learning curve... (mostly getting the hang of it)... 

Of course, in the end, what matters is house training the eternal puppy (on the paper! Get the sh on the paper!)... so whatever works for you is fine... and there's the word AND... handheld AND computer, not so much handheld vs computer. Just rest assured that editing on an iPad Mini is now crazy fast!

Edited by Ioshkafu - 25 Oct 2018 at 12:03am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Ioshkafu Ioshkafu wrote:

Hi, I'm only an occasional creative writer and mostly a translator of movie scripts (from Italian to English). I do about 75% of my work on an iPad Mini (no external keyboard), in txt mode using Fountain markup... then once done, I import the "fountainized" script into Fade In and from there export to FDX (8) because most production companies here want the output in Final Draft and in PDF (generated by FD). 

The iOS apps of both Final Draft and Fade In are horrible for handhelds... so I use Notebooks which offers Connective Editing - an  idea of mine that ace programmer Alfons Schmid of Austria kindly implemented that makes most of the standard (meat-and-potatoes) Editing operations actually faster on a handheld than what's normal on a computer. 

Editing power is very important to me because translation is editing on steroids, the process being: load the original, read a portion, translate that portion, forward delete the old, move on to next portion and repeat... then Approx. 20K words later... "FINE"  gets translated to - "THE END" - and canceled. But that's only the beginning of the end, because now I have to take it to the top and put the job through a polish... now it's a bit closer to what you "creativi" do... in any case, it's English on English.

Anyhow... I'm a big Fountain to Fade In  aficionado... Fountain gives me the freedom to work on any device. (All allow txt mode). Then the iPad mini running Notebooks (with Connective Editing) allows me to work slouched in bed, in the car, al fresco at a cafe bar, strolling... and I mean WORK PRODUCTIVELY (5-6K words a day). 

Connective Editing has a very shallow learning curve... (mostly getting the hang of it)... 

Of course, in the end, what matters is house training the eternal puppy (on the paper! Get the sh on the paper!)... so whatever works for you is fine... and there's the word AND... handheld AND computer, not so much handheld vs computer. Just rest assured that editing on an iPad Mini is now crazy fast!

That sounds interesting, and not that easy.  I am supposing that it gets complicated when you need to make judgement calls on what something means in English.  How is the pay for something like that?

Edited by Suave - 25 Oct 2018 at 9:38pm
Ioshkafu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ioshkafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 2:04am
Hello Suave,
Well it can be hard... but nothing compared to the blank page that creative writers must face, with the godlike task of creating everything out of thin air.

I don't start with a blank screen, but with 20K of someone else's bla-bla. Sure, I need to be creative... but in a cage, while the "creativi" must be creative out in the wild.

In any case, the actual physical work of formatting and editing is identical. What you do in Final Draft or Fade In or the others, I have to do as well...

All resistance to the American industrial formatting standard has disappeared. So now, whether done in Final Draft or not, the end product must "look" like it was done in Final Draft.

I use Final Draft only and precisely for its namesake... the Final Draft... the draft I deliver. Otherwise I'm not at all fond of the program... because it's very sluggish for editing and totally in the thrall of what I call the "Microsoft Whammy"...

But bear in mind that I'm just a scribe, so I don't need all the undeniably great database functionalities of a scriptwriting program. All I need is the formatting! For example, what am I gonna do with a corkboard?

My contribution to humanity was to make editing on handhelds - yes, even on an iPhone, incredibly more snappy than anything out there.

The big boys, the programming heavies missed something huge about txt editing... that it's CONNECTIVE.

Connective in its blind mechanics, its pondered purpose, it's
Geography (no I'm not crazy)... and 9 times outta 10 in its practice.

Edited by Ioshkafu - 26 Oct 2018 at 2:18am
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

Most tablets pair nicely with small Bluetooth keyboards. In many cases (iPad especially) they are built to act as covers too. I will be writing my entry on one tomorrow. Smile

How did it go?

Sorry, just getting back here after more real life distractions. It worked fine. Finished up at home with the full version the next day.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:22pm
Glad the small devices worked for you - haha, work with what you have, or don't work at all!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 4:39am
Bump!
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 5:01am
i ended up picking up fd11 in black friday sale...

going to use it this weekend. I'll let you know if it was worth it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>