NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Draft 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Draft 10
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:34pm
I purchased Final Draft 10 earlier this year, the other day I get an email asking me for another $80 to upgrade to 11.  I contacted them and asked why if I just bought this they would not upgrade it to 11 - I thought this is really tacky and just a mistake.  They said no, they would not upgrade me as I was outside their free upgrade window of the last of July.  Buy software, and almost immediately they try and sell me an upgrade - Final Draft has seen the last dollar they will ever get out of me.

Edited by Suave - 18 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 3:57am
Final Draft, barely used, final purchase.

With apologies to Hemingway.Wink
Ch3 NC story SF/hospice/armband
Ending; Happy?
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 6:10am
but you can add images to the beatboard now

dont you want to pay $80 for that
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 9:02am
Fade In seems a good substitute AND it allows for images.

Doesn't have a beat board, tho.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

but you can add images to the beatboard now

dont you want to pay $80 for that

Ya, haha, that would make it worth it!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Talespinner Talespinner wrote:

I am sure he would agree with you!
cyberk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cyberk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 11:56am
I've switched to using WriterDuet, which is rock solid, flexible and developed by one guy who is super responsive to emails. It's SUPER great for collaborating or working with copy editors on your script.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by cyberk cyberk wrote:

I've switched to using WriterDuet, which is rock solid, flexible and developed by one guy who is super responsive to emails. It's SUPER great for collaborating or working with copy editors on your script.

Wordstar was developed by one guy who was super responsive, until he wasn't.  The company that bought it tried to create a new release, but nobody could read his code.  Now only old gnomes who live in machine rooms with grey ponytails on bald heads and sit at green screen terminals all day writing impossibly cryptic command lines in csh know about it.  A bit like Wordperfect; that was the best word processor in the world until Microsoft bought the third best and murdered it.

I actually got FD11.  Not sure why, other than I could.  Haven't used it yet (I only used FD10 a couple times, and found out you can create corrupt files easily during a screenwriting contest).  I used to think I wanted to be a screenwriter, and maybe I still do (even though I don't watch TV or movies), but I did a suicide scene that was almost entirely self-talk and realized you can do things with prose that are pretty heart-breaking.  Getting completely lost in a book is still my favorite pastime. 

I'll tell you what I think of FD11 next weekend.  Maybe I'll get as annoyed with it as I was with FD 10 and use WriteDuet.  I hear it's written by one guy who is super-responsive to emails...  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by Talespinner Talespinner wrote:

I am sure he would agree with you!

Oh baby, that is a shoe-in!

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:13pm
BTW, I found that WriterDuet (online) is super easy to use, as is Amazon Storywriter, as long as you understand the basics of screenwriting (what the tags are, such as DIALOGUE or CHARACTER, and so on). And collaboration is super easy.

I'm collaborating with someone in another country where wifi/internet is spotty and expensive, so we're using a combination of WPS Office (he's using a tablet) and Fade In (I'm using a desktop). We'll see how it goes. He can get and send files in bursts, but it's difficult and costly to get on-demand wireless, and data plans are wildly expensive. There aren't any "free" hot spots that are easy to get to during his normal day-to-day activities.

I can't imagine using a tablet to do real work, TBH. I need the physical keyboard as my fingertips get sore if I use the glass screen of the tablet too much.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>