NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the judges read the forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaleKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do the judges read the forum?
    Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:46am
I wonder if they do, and if so, are they influenced by the feedback stories receive?  
Read my Round #1 story titled Words We Could Have Used
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 7:07am
They can read this section, but should not be able to read the stories section.  I would think they have been told to stay away from the forum.  But, who knows.
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 7:17am
I feel like last year a judge mentioned something that the writer had explained in the forum but not in the story or something. So it's possible but is probably not technically allowed... 
SheriLS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheriLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 7:58am
I remember being assured that the judges do not read the forums. I don't remember if it was in the rules somewhere, but I know I read it. 
barnabypage View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:29am
Originally posted by SheriLS SheriLS wrote:

I remember being assured that the judges do not read the forums. I don't remember if it was in the rules somewhere, but I know I read it. 

If they did it would make the whole anonymity thing nonsensical, so I've always presumed not.

I guess there would be no harm in them doing so after judging.

Edited by barnabypage - 20 Sep 2018 at 9:29am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 10:17am
I think I saw someplace too where they're not allowed to come near the forum, but I can't remember where I saw that. Smile
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

Edited by Zelda - 20 Sep 2018 at 10:18am
WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 10:30am
I don’t think they’re supposed to, but it’s a trust thing. I don’t think NYCM could monitor that, as anyone can sign up for the forum, and access all of the competitions, current and past. 
FFC Final| Beyond the Veil
Micro R1 | How Could You?
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by WriterByNight WriterByNight wrote:

I don’t think they’re supposed to, but it’s a trust thing. I don’t think NYCM could monitor that, as anyone can sign up for the forum, and access all of the competitions, current and past. 

I think you have to be registered though, in order to be able to sign up for the forum. When I did my first competition, I used my legal name vs. author name to register, and then had them change it. I had to use the registered name to get into the forums - the other didn't work. Since judges aren't registered in the competition, I wouldn't think they could access it at all.
WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

Originally posted by WriterByNight WriterByNight wrote:

I think you have to be registered though, in order to be able to sign up for the forum. When I did my first competition, I used my legal name vs. author name to register, and then had them change it. I had to use the registered name to get into the forums - the other didn't work. Since judges aren't registered in the competition, I wouldn't think they could access it at all.

Oh, neat, the forum wasn’t like that when I joined. Good for NYCM if they updated that.
FFC Final| Beyond the Veil
Micro R1 | How Could You?
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:05am
All the forum except the stories are able to be read by anyone.  If you are a competitor, you can access the story part of the forum.  Now the odd thing is is that I had never been in the screenwriting comps, but I was able to access the screenplays when I was only in the SSC.  That said, I did try out gaining access to the stories sections when I had signed out, and I was not able to.

Edited by Suave - 20 Sep 2018 at 11:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>