NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subject with multiple meanings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ali815 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subject with multiple meanings?
    Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:13pm
Hi all! My heat is Thriller/a motel room/a keyboard. I initially interpreted "keyboard" as a piano keyboard, like a 90's Casio situation. When I told my boyfriend about my assignment, he immediately assumed they meant a computer keyboard. Which is definitely what the prompt meant in the first place. 

I've been creative with my interpretations of my setting and subject before. Can I carry on with my piano-keyboard, or should I switch over to a computer-keyboard just to be safe?
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:14pm
Make it fit the story. Do what works for the story, and rock it. :)
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:24pm
The prompt said "keyboard"? Then it can be any keyboard. If they meant "computer keyboard" they should have specified.
cyberk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:32pm
Agreed, either should be totally fine. As long as you're not actively trying to avoid using the prompt, an unusual interpretation is okay!
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:50pm
You're well within the scope of the prompt -- a piano keyboard is a keyboard as much as a computer one is. Or a typewriter one. Or a board hanging on the wall with hooks holding keys. The best thing about most prompts is the range of possible interpretations.
100MF2022 R1 G41 The Ties that Bind (Romance)
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:57pm
Last heat our location was a cable car. Some interpreted it as a mountain cable car, others a tram-style. Creative interpretation seems to be fine and they haven't specified what kind of keyboard.
Archive
250 R2
<a href="https://tinyurl.com/YACCMMDD" rel="nofollow">250 (R1)</
 Post Reply Post Reply