NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback
    Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:25pm
just got mine. If my story  is as good as they say, I should have scored of 15! Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with my 11. But their feedback confuses me. 
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:28pm
Just got mine too. As I suspected, one of the judges played the 'poetry is wrong' card.
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:29pm
I'm actually pretty happy with my feedback - the constructive criticisms were actually constructive, and I think they treated my story pretty fairly this time.  6 points.  I'll take it.

AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:32pm
Not a fan of my feedback this time. The likes were literally, "I like____. I like ____." And the feedback was stuff I could only do if this were much longer or a novel. OR, would have made it super cheesy which I was trying to avoid even though I got RomCom. 
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:33pm
One of my judges confused my use of a "badge" (my object) with "bandage" to pick one's teeth ... claiming that a bandage would be far too flimsy to pick one's teeth with. 

Unhappy
#amrevising
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:33pm
My "needs work" feedback was a bit nitpicky, pointing out redundancy in wording, and man, the majority of readers really jumped to murder as the ending instead of a less-deadly outcome, but I'm overall happy with that. Can't wait for round two!
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Just got mine too. As I suspected, one of the judges played the 'poetry is wrong' card.

To be fair, don't the rules state no poetry? 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:34pm

My feedback was solid, one of the most reasonable I've seen lately. (And I'm not saying that b/c it correlates to a high score. 2 years ago I had a 15 that had completely weird feedback!) Addressed one of the trends that I saw in peer review. One of the judges was a little more confused than the average bear, but for the most part I'm not complaining. 

For those who have an interest, the feedback is copied into the initial post of my story thread.

patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:40pm
I got dinged for a "lack of conflict."  Hard to fit too much conflict into a 1000 word historical sci-fi LOL
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 3:47pm
The feedback I got was pretty spot-on, for me, and accorded with the feedback I got from readers here on the forum. So I'm pretty satisfied.
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>