NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else writing from the hurricane cone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennmcg72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:19pm
I also live in NC. We are leaving for New York on Thursday afternoon. Had a previously scheduled trip planned, so we will miss the actual storm, but will certainly have to deal with the aftermath upon returning. I have flashbacks to Hurricane Hugo in '89 which caused power outages, no school, gas shortages, etc. for over a week. And I live in the foothills of NC, about 300 miles from the coast. I would say anyone east of Raleigh is wise to travel further west if possible. Trying to convince my son, who is a student at NC State, to at least come home for the weekend to avoid the power outages and flooding that will inevitably occur in the Raleigh area. For those of you living along the coast of NC and/or SC, please evacuate if possible! Better to be safe than sorry.

And about this whole writing contest thing. Planned our trip before verifying when the next writing weekend occurred. Oh well, maybe this next prompt will lead itself to be set in Manhattan. Smile
R1,G37,1st Reunited
R2,G7 A Fashionable Web

Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:38pm
I admire your preparation for the contest, but like the others, I hope you are safe.

I wonder how many of us will be affected? I suspect we'll only get some more rain in my area, but I'll be sending good thoughts to everyone who is in the path of the storm.
SidewaysSnow View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SidewaysSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 2:02pm
Stay safe, everyone!  
One_likethewind View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One_likethewind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 2:27pm
My brother is a ferry captain out by Buxton, NC. He is riding out the storm in Buxton. I'm not very happy about it. Good luck all who are in the cone, be as safe as you can.
One_likethewind
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:31pm
I have a place to go west in the morning. Staying until the bitter end, but accepted I will likely have to go. No fun.
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:42pm
I’m so glad you are leaving!  I have been concerned about you. I saw the headlines, “NYCM FF writer writes comedy but lives horror,” 
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 6:49pm

LOL! It's hard to know what to do. I'm in New Bern North Carolina (you've probably seen us on national news--we're finally famous!). Fortunately, it's looking like the storm is going to hit farther south than we thought, which is going to lessen the effects for us, but it's still a serious storm .
basil View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:17pm
Virginia thankfully just slipped out of the danger zone. 

edit: nevermind you're evacuating! Yay!

Edited by basil - 12 Sep 2018 at 11:18pm
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:31pm
I hope you and your family are safe through this. People first and always, so don't worry about a contest.

Keep yourself and those you love safe!
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by RebRas RebRas wrote:

LOL! It's hard to know what to do. I'm in New Bern North Carolina (you've probably seen us on national news--we're finally famous!). Fortunately, it's looking like the storm is going to hit farther south than we thought, which is going to lessen the effects for us, but it's still a serious storm .

If it is hitting further south that probably means you are in the east side of circulation. That is the side that gets the most flooding. Do not look merely at what is a direct hit-remember this is a huge storm, and flooding is going to knock out a lot of services including cell. They maybe the last to go, but they may still go. People as Far East as Mobile lost their homes from Katrina. I have friends in Mobile who lost all they had and were lucky to make it out alive. Get out of there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>