NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback from the lowly folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback from the lowly folk
    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 8:05am
Right. This has caused me far more worry than I'm sure was ever necessary. Time to post Embarrassed

How does everyone feel about receiving feedback in rounds 2 & 3 from people who didn't make it that far? Obviously the amount of activity on pieces dwindles with every round, but I'm not sure if that's due to people's interest dropping or because it's the done thing to do to bow out and no longer comment on work if you're 'out' of the competition.

Thoughts? Is there any truth to the above? And is it different per competition? I feel I've been withholding comments when really I just wanna say good job with the thing.
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 8:32am
I wondered this myself in short screenplay. I was out after first round, but still popped in and read later rounds. I don't think I commented on any, though, for this reason - feels like you're not supposed to comment if you're not involved. 

But now that I'm in the final round and there's only 12 lonely souls on the board, I know I personally would love to have even more opinions on mine. This is especially true for me because I usually have several beta readers from the boards, but this time I didn't want to ask people to beta yet again without being able to return the favor. So, although friends and family did a good job of pointing out flaws and offering new views on mine, it's just not as beneficial as having fellow writers evaluate it. 

So, at least for me, I say the more readers, the merrier. 
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 8:48am
Anyone who posts on these boards is opening themselves up to critique from everyone on the planet with an email address. That's my take anyway. Certainly true of me!

TG
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:04am
Good to know the feeling isn't an anomaly. It's so strange, I just expected to see more comments from non-finalists supporting those who uploaded scripts. We're all here for the enjoyment of writing, not just the shot at placing (I assume!). But there's a definite shift in mood when that results table comes up.

Thanks guys. I guess this forum is what you make of it! Now to read some scripts Cool
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:08am
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Good to know the feeling isn't an anomaly. It's so strange, I just expected to see more comments from non-finalists supporting those who uploaded scripts. We're all here for the enjoyment of writing, not just the shot at placing (I assume!). But there's a definite shift in mood when that results table comes up.

Thanks guys. I guess this forum is what you make of it! Now to read some scripts Cool

Well I can relate to the interest waning when you go out. I've never been in round 2 of a prose contest before, and only very rarely have I hung around after going out; usually just to comment on the stories of those who I know in the real world (gasp!). :)
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:30am
Echoing what everyone else is saying - the more reviews the merrier!

I'm guilty of losing all interest once I'm out of a competition!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Well I can relate to the interest waning when you go out. I've never been in round 2 of a prose contest before, and only very rarely have I hung around after going out; usually just to comment on the stories of those who I know in the real world (gasp!). :)

Real...world...?
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:51am
Once I'm out of a competition, usually I stick around to beta read for people I know pretty well on here (or whom I've gotten to know outside the forums), or if someone specifically asks for my help. When it comes to reading and reviewing after postings go up, I'll often peek but don't always leave comments.

When you start this crazy journey, you become part of the NYCM community. And you can stay as involved - or not - as you'd like, round to round. I don't think people would react negatively if you chose to comment even if you got knocked out in a prior round. At least that's been my experience.

Hope this helps! 
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:52am
IF I make it to another round, I always appreciate feedback.

(And I've been remiss on responding due to Reasons...)
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:13am
Thanks all. My head needs to chill LOL xxx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>