NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low Number Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul.Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Number Feedback
    Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:35pm
Hi guys,

This is my second year participating.  It's always tough to read and write feedback since I am so busy (dad of 3 kids, super stressful job, writing novel #2, and entrepreneur) so I totally understand not getting a ton of reciprocal reviews.  This year, I only got a couple of comments on my entry and would love more, of course.

Just wondering if there was anyone like me that didn't get a ton of (awesome and very helpful) feedback this year.  Maybe those of you who are able to provide feedback can do so for those of us who are seeking more!

Consider this post solicitation to ask for feedback on your round 1 entry if you didn't get as much as you wanted Big smile

Share a link to your (low feedback quantity) forum post below!
FFC 2018 CH1 GR4 The Last Mystic
FFC 2018 CH2 GR4 Passion
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:38pm
Can I offer a suggestion? 

Your signature link leads straight to the google doc, not the forum post. While it might get people to read, most of us are also various levels of time poor and are unlikely to trawl through the forum looking for your post to leave a review on. If you link directly to the forum post, you might find you get more hits :) 
FF23 Rd1 - Special Frame Diner
Paul.Ford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:40pm
Good point!  I didn't mean to do that.  Just fixing it now. Clap
FFC 2018 CH1 GR4 The Last Mystic
FFC 2018 CH2 GR4 Passion
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:11pm
There are several writers who also sort the forum by "number of replies' in order to find low-response posts and ensure they get some feedback.  
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:33pm
Maybe note in your original post that you return feedback? Not sure if that helps or not, but I know that I am always looking for feedback on my own work, and I always try to return it if someone reviews mine. (Checking yours out now!)
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Paul.Ford Paul.Ford wrote:

Hi guys,

This is my second year participating.  It's always tough to read and write feedback since I am so busy (dad of 3 kids, super stressful job, writing novel #2, and entrepreneur) so I totally understand not getting a ton of reciprocal reviews.  This year, I only got a couple of comments on my entry and would love more, of course.

Just wondering if there was anyone like me that didn't get a ton of (awesome and very helpful) feedback this year.  Maybe those of you who are able to provide feedback can do so for those of us who are seeking more!

Consider this post solicitation to ask for feedback on your round 1 entry if you didn't get as much as you wanted Big smile

Share a link to your (low feedback quantity) forum post below!

Paul, you're on my list of "people I usually seek out" but I'm just slow this year! I do agree that the feedback has been somewhat different this time. Not as many reviews, and not as in-depth as I'm accustomed to -- across the board, not just in my own story. (In fact, I've seen more reviews on mine than I expected since I'm lagging.) I wonder if it's because there are more entrants than ever before?
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:35am
I have been reading more than a few with low feedback, they all seem to be late to the party entries.  Perhaps, that might be the problem, put it out there right away and you will get more readers.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I have been reading more than a few with low feedback, they all seem to be late to the party entries.  Perhaps, that might be the problem, put it out there right away and you will get more readers.

Historically, those that post after the first weekend get a lot less attention. The majority of reading happens in that first week - and by the Monday of that week, folks are mostly returning crits.
ThePaleKing View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaleKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 2:55pm
I only posted my story on Saturday, so very little interest just yet. 

I think I just need to go around feeding back on other people's stories in the hope that they reciprocate. 
Read my Round #1 story titled Words We Could Have Used
Collins50 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collins50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 7:58am
I have a ton of reviews but I posted early and I am a bit insane because I have read/reviewed probably a 100 or more stories (it feels that way! Read a few and see how many return the favor! Should work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>