NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiction War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiction War
    Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:09am
Alright... I am officially DONE giving Fiction War my money. And here are a few reasons why:

1. They are more than a year behind on their publishing schedule.
2. They have not provided any sort of official or helpful updates to those who they have selected for publication.
3. They continue to "extend the deadline" for their Atom Bomb contest, essentially prolonging that "publication."
4. Participants don't receive any sort of feedback from the judges or fellow contestants.

But what is nice about Fiction War, is that you can still see their prompts without registering! So instead of wasting another $30, I may just write to the prompt as a free agent! It will be released in about 2 hours. Anyone want to join me?!
#amrevising
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:35am
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Alright... I am officially DONE giving Fiction War my money. And here are a few reasons why:

1. They are more than a year behind on their publishing schedule.
2. They have not provided any sort of official or helpful updates to those who they have selected for publication.
3. They continue to "extend the deadline" for their Atom Bomb contest, essentially prolonging that "publication."
4. Participants don't receive any sort of feedback from the judges or fellow contestants.

But what is nice about Fiction War, is that you can still see their prompts without registering! So instead of wasting another $30, I may just write to the prompt as a free agent! It will be released in about 2 hours. Anyone want to join me?!

You know I agree 100% with everything you've said above. May I add that prior participants' questions and concerns are  immediately dismissed and they've closed their Facebook page to any questions that point to their delayed publication schedule or how they plan to address the most recent or current competition. Any comments that do not scream 'Yay, Fiction War!' are deleted.

As for the "Atom Bomb," I have no idea how they're going to pony up $5,000 for first place, as advertised. I'm sure the money I've invested with the pieces I've written is laying at the bottom of a well someplace.

And to answer your initial question, yep. In for writing outside the comp. Maybe not this weekend, but definitely in for going full-on renegade.

Edited by lisafox10800 - 20 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:06pm
100 words?!

That's crazy! Might as well write Japanese Haiku!

Sounds like fun though as a challenge, even if they are a bunch of cowboys!
Only if you're looking for the challenge I guess, rather than hoping for any serious follow through, haha! Nice image P!

Paula x

sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
I signed up.  I'm new to all this.  I wrote an Atom Bomb piece and heard back fairly quickly that I was not selected.  I'll write just to see I guess and at least I paid in May, so...
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

I signed up.  I'm new to all this.  I wrote an Atom Bomb piece and heard back fairly quickly that I was not selected.  I'll write just to see I guess and at least I paid in May, so...

SGSpeed: Their prompts are really good and thought provoking, and I've done the last couple to produce more material. (Two of my FW pieces have gone on to be published elsewhere). The problem is, they are ridiculously behind in publishing the winners, and they do not provide updates.

So don't fret that you signed up. Enjoy the experience. It's a great opportunity to produce something to send out elsewhere. And keep you writing.

And interesting that they actually got back to you on the Atom Bombs. I have seven pieces in and haven't heard boo. Hm.

Good luck this weekend!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

SGSpeed: Their prompts are really good and thought provoking, and I've done the last couple to produce more material. (Two of my FW pieces have gone on to be published elsewhere). The problem is, they are ridiculously behind in publishing the winners, and they do not provide updates.

So don't fret that you signed up. Enjoy the experience. It's a great opportunity to produce something to send out elsewhere. And keep you writing.

And interesting that they actually got back to you on the Atom Bombs. I have seven pieces in and haven't heard boo. Hm.

Good luck this weekend!

I signed up too coz I misread your post Lisa! Haha! I thought you were in!
Oh well, I would have spent at least £40 if I'd gone out on the lash tonight with my teacher mates rather than already be holed up in my PJs!

P x

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

Good luck this weekend!

Oh well, I would have spent at least £40 if I'd gone out on the lash tonight with my teacher mates rather than already be holed up in my PJs!

P x

Ack, sorry! I meant "in" for writing renegade, not the actual comp. 

They tend to not like my writing anyway.
lisafoxiswriting.com
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm

Good luck this weekend!

Lisa, I went back and looked through my emails and can't find the one about the Atom Bomb.  I could be confused, I just remember getting an email about a piece of fiction not making it through. Maybe it was something else.  What do you know about the New Millennium writing contest and publication?

MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

Good luck this weekend!

P x

Ack, sorry! I meant "in" for writing renegade, not the actual comp. 

They tend to not like my writing anyway.

Haha! No worries, it'll be nice to write something this weekend as I am now on VACATION! Yay! Will take it with a pinch of salt and see what comes of it.....just good to have a challenge and yet another procrastination excuse before I decide which story to work on into a 'would be' novel over the summer!

So LOVE the renegade thing! I can see you and Steph prowling around in black combats and face smudged camouflage..... popping paint pellets at unsuspecting folk!

Px

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 2:07pm

Good luck this weekend!

Lisa, I went back and looked through my emails and can't find the one about the Atom Bomb.  I could be confused, I just remember getting an email about a piece of fiction not making it through. Maybe it was something else.  What do you know about the New Millennium writing contest and publication?

I'm not familiar with New Millennium but now you've piqued my interest!
lisafoxiswriting.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>