NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Practicing FF for contests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Practicing FF for contests
    Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 7:59pm
if this is not allowed by the moderators, please feel free to delete this post.

I think a new writer might get credibility by entering contests like this. There are a lot of short story contests out there.

I thought it might be worth my time while waiting for the contest results to randomly pick a prompt from this round and write another short. Just to get the juices flowing and practice for other contests.

I am not certain if using these prompts in another freestyle contest would be allowed. I would get clarification before I ever did such a thing.

So I am going to challenge myself to try a different prompt each weekend (one from each genre preferably). Saturday and Sunday to write a short, just for my brain. 

Is anyone else interested in joining my mad endeavor?

Edited by TammyB - 20 Jul 2018 at 5:38pm
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:02pm
Count me in! I was thinking of doing the same thing. It would be even more fun if we had a place to share and get feedback from each other. 
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by RebRas RebRas wrote:

Count me in! I was thinking of doing the same thing. It would be even more fun if we had a place to share and get feedback from each other. 

Until I find out if this is allowed, and see if someone can help me with logistics of possibly forming a small subgroup somewhere, what if we add each other to the buddy list?
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
WRITE ON!
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by TammyB TammyB wrote:

Originally posted by RebRas RebRas wrote:

Until I find out if this is allowed, and see if someone can help me with logistics of possibly forming a small subgroup somewhere, what if we add each other to the buddy list?

Sounds good to me! 
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
How would it not be allowed?  They have given 3 elements of a story.  It's like a random plot generator.  If you actually published one, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a shout-out to NYC Midnight.  It's a great idea to keep the juices flowing and keep writing.  While this forum is on your mind, and the forums are here, it will be good incentive.  This is my year 3 in this contest; I predict you will be amazed at the diversity of the stories that are generated by the same 3 items.  One of the thing I like to do is read a story and see if I can tell what the prompts were.  In some it's very obvious, but other times you would never know what constraints the writer was working under.  It's a cool contest.  To me, it's one of very few worth paying for, because the payback is great.
Collins50 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Collins50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:51pm
Instead of a full story, just look at the prompts and come up with a quick sketch in your head and write a title/detailed plot synopsis. If you get stumped on one, then that’s the genre you should brush up on. Just my two cents! 

That’s what I am doing this evening! I applaud you for going the extra mile and writing after Round 1 just for fun!!!
TeaWithWolves View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TeaWithWolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 3:39am
I’m up for this too!
ankh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:55am
I'm up for it, but I think it would be a very rough sketch rather than all of the high pressure rewriting and editing that happens in the actual contest. I agree with what Collins50 said - even just generating ideas for each prompt is good practice!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by catrad catrad wrote:

How would it not be allowed?  They have given 3 elements of a story.  It's like a random plot generator.  If you actually published one, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a shout-out to NYC Midnight.  It's a great idea to keep the juices flowing and keep writing.  While this forum is on your mind, and the forums are here, it will be good incentive.  This is my year 3 in this contest; I predict you will be amazed at the diversity of the stories that are generated by the same 3 items.  One of the thing I like to do is read a story and see if I can tell what the prompts were.  In some it's very obvious, but other times you would never know what constraints the writer was working under.  It's a cool contest.  To me, it's one of very few worth paying for, because the payback is great.

Nice explanation. This is my first year. I found out about it on Friday from a friend, and said what the heck. 
You are right, there are so many things we can do in this contest. Although most of my friends think I’m nuts to do the contest. I love this idea.
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
WRITE ON!
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by TammyB TammyB wrote:

Originally posted by catrad catrad wrote:

Nice explanation. This is my first year. I found out about it on Friday from a friend, and said what the heck. 
You are right, there are so many things we can do in this contest. Although most of my friends think I’m nuts to do the contest. I love this idea.

If you really want to convince your friends you're crazy, try the 3 Day Novel Contest! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>