NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFC: How do you prepare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFC: How do you prepare?
    Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:28am
Without having any idea what you will need to write about, how do you prepare for the weekend?

I-

• Read past winners
  • Go through old ideas I've had in case any will work
  • Read any short stories
  • Visit the forums

You? 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:31am
1. Stock up on snacks. And wine. And coffee. And bones for the doggo.
2. Reread judges' feedback from previous rounds.
3. Pray to the Prompt Gods.
4. Goof off on the forums whilst waiting.

LOL
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:40am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

1. Stock up on snacks. And wine. And coffee. And bones for the doggo.

Thanks for the reminder! Bones for the doggo are a MUST! (As are coffee and wine!)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:37pm
For weeks I have, at different times, thought about the most problematic genre - romantic anything, spy(hate spy with a passion) so that it would not be such a shock to the system when I get one of them.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:55pm
I don't. I have other stuff I have to work on (this is procrastination) and without knowing my prompts and genre there's nothing special I can really do. Since the odds are long I'll have the same judges what the ones from SS said doesn't mean much. So just mostly "try not to worry about it."
Pineapplepizza View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pineapplepizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:09pm
You and I, we can be friends.
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:23pm
Solid Strategy.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Since the odds are long I'll have the same judges what the ones from SS said doesn't mean much."

True - but at the same time it is a good reminder of what people think are your strengths and weaknesses, especially if there is a trend. I like to keep those in mind as I write the next thing, whether it effects the new piece or not.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Since the odds are long I'll have the same judges what the ones from SS said doesn't mean much."

True - but at the same time it is a good reminder of what people think are your strengths and weaknesses, especially if there is a trend. I like to keep those in mind as I write the next thing, whether it effects the new piece or not.

Meh. I know those. These contests are just for fun--this one I know is completely random (unlike FW-never did that before either but since those are editors it was pretty easy to look at what they'd already bought and know what they want so I was a finalist on my first try. Hint: If you're doing FW, ignore that they say "open to all genres." They like lit fic. Strong pretty lit will beat good genre.) I'm not, for example, going to change how I write horror because the judges for my heat from NYCMSS liked splatterpunk stuff. In the real world I'd never submit to somewhere that wanted high gore, here they randomly assigned judges who see horror that way. Since I had no real negative technical feedback, there's not much to go on.  With a real market, you can get a fairly good idea what they're buying and adjust accordingly, here it's a total crapshoot, so might as well write what you're good at. Anyone who's been writing a while probably has a handle on that.

Though I've been kind of reluctant to admit that the best way for me to sell is apparently male POVs. I dohave hopes for the one story I sent for a holiday horror one that has a girl as the POV since that element makes the ending even more horrifying and traumatic. (It ends badly for her, but it was inevitable.) 
Sandra Elizabeth View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandra Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:58pm
Where can I find any judge feedback from the last flash fiction contest? 

Edited by Sandra Elizabeth - 11 Jul 2018 at 2:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>