NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Share a link to a story while we wait

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Share a link to a story while we wait
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:21pm
Have you been writing any flash fiction lately? Do you have one you want to share here? It might be nice to read what we've written without time constraints and prompts. I'll get us started with this one which is based on my own experience. For now, let's just share one story each. 

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:43pm
                                                                      RED-WING

A bright and glorious day, a wisp of cloud sailing across the sky, a slight breeze ruffling the grass.  The young red-winged blackbird sits on a branch and sings his heart out.  Happy, so happy, he wishes he could sing forever.

Spring begins its turn to summer, ushering him along life’s path, parents and young surreptitiously emerge from hidden nesting sites to form small flocks.  Summer flowing day to day, it feels so right, without a care, each day lived to its fullest.  What is tomorrow, or the day after that, if it is not here in the present.

He and his young friends had heard tales of flocks, flocks so large that they blacken the sky.  They doubt the stories, but each dream of it all the same.  To be a part of one such flight would truly be the greatest event of any life.

Then the first never-ending summer begins to wane.  The hints of the coming change bring a heightened alertness amongst the adults, a new restlessness, searching of the southern horizon.  To the young it seems something is silently passing from one to the next that they are not let privy.

It is not long when a morning breaks beneath gray clouds, an unexpectedly cold breeze.  The flock, as one, leaps into the sky though no lookout had cried a signal.  The flight is straight and true, no stopping at fields crossed, or farms, marshes, and roads.  Each time he looks back the river of blackbirds has grown, it stretches almost out of sight.

It seems reckless abandon as the leader began leading the long ribbon through huge loops and turns.  At first flying towards the sky only to plummet toward the ground before leveling off just above the trees.  Then starting it all over again.  Flying south the only constant, that and the following ribbon of birds.

The young bird knows this is the largest flock that has ever been.  His chest fills with pride, his life is forever changed.  He knows there can be nothing more to life than this moment.

Edited by Suave - 06 Jul 2018 at 6:55am
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:01am
I remember the red wings back in Indiana when I was growing up. Thanks for sharing. That brings back good memories. 
One_likethewind View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote One_likethewind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 8:19am
Now if only all of my birding books read like that. I see a new career for you!
One_likethewind
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by One_likethewind One_likethewind wrote:

Now if only all of my birding books read like that. I see a new career for you!

That is the severely condensed version of the story - I entered it in a 350 word competition, got no where - I should have used peeps instead of friends to gain notice.

Edited by Suave - 06 Jul 2018 at 10:40am
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:55pm
This one isn't too recent, but I figure people here may have already read the most recent one I have on Kraxon, since it came out of the last SSC here. LOL

The one before that was written for Sci-Fi London. 

This one wasn't for a contest -- they had a special time-travel stories submissions window for Back to the Future Day in 2015, and chose my entry:

Edited by TheDustyZebra - 08 Jul 2018 at 5:56pm
100MF2022 R1 G41 The Ties that Bind (Romance)
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

This one isn't too recent, but I figure people here may have already read the most recent one I have on Kraxon, since it came out of the last SSC here. LOL

The one before that was written for Sci-Fi London. 

This one wasn't for a contest -- they had a special time-travel stories submissions window for Back to the Future Day in 2015, and chose my entry:

That is a powerful story, and the last line was delivered perfectly. 
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:21pm
This is my Round 1 Flash Fiction piece from last year!

RomCom / Scene of a car accident / Bag of money

#amrevising
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:21am
This isn't Flash, but a short story I recently published at Open: Journal of Arts & Letters

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:24am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

Have you been writing any flash fiction lately? Do you have one you want to share here? It might be nice to read what we've written without time constraints and prompts. I'll get us started with this one which is based on my own experience. For now, let's just share one story each. 

Man, I love the question here - "Is the empty chair for me?"  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>