NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monday Morning Quarterbacking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monday Morning Quarterbacking
    Posted: 18 May 2018 at 3:21pm
It's been a few days. Who can't stop thinking of all the little things they could have done - or SHOULD have done - to clear up or clean up their submission?

Personally, I didn't make altruism central enough to the plot of my story, and things that are clear to me (like POV) are throwing people off.

This is going to be a looooooooooong wait for June 20th.
velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:06pm
There are definitely a few tweaks that I'm realizing I could have made, or choices I could have taken, but overall I'm at peace with what I could do in 24 hours.

Even if there is some confusion from some of the forum readers (of course we don't know what the judges will think yet), your story still stands as interesting, twisty, and entertaining even if the person reading didn't get what you were conveying - I'd call that an accomplishment on its own! When I first read it, I thought it was a strong contender before I realized what was really going on after reading your discussion in the replies.

Anyway, I'd try to keep in mind that you made an entire piece in 24 hours that is polished. No story is perfect, even if you had a whole year to work on it. You earned your way to this final round, and it showed in your entry this round. Keep your chin up!

But also.... yes, I am counting the days until June 20!!!

Edited by velocisarah - 18 May 2018 at 4:07pm
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
Meggles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:00pm
That’s funny- I remembered your story and had to go look at it again because I was like, “POV issue? What is she talking about?” I didn’t notice any problem at all when I read it.

I know some things I would’ve done differently. A few word choices that I could’ve improved....but overall I’m happy with it. If I’d had 250 more words to work with I’d have had a different ending, but oh well.

I’ve read so many of the third round stories and they’re all so good! You just never know what’s going to strike a chord with the judges.
FF 2021: C1
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Meggles Meggles wrote:

That’s funny- I remembered your story and had to go look at it again because I was like, “POV issue? What is she talking about?” I didn’t notice any problem at all when I read it.

I know some things I would’ve done differently. A few word choices that I could’ve improved....but overall I’m happy with it. If I’d had 250 more words to work with I’d have had a different ending, but oh well.

I’ve read so many of the third round stories and they’re all so good! You just never know what’s going to strike a chord with the judges.

I'm content with what I submitted, as a piece of writing. I was just MORE content with it WHEN I submitted it. :P

I'm also a perpetual editor. I'm constantly sending my beta a draft, then ten minutes later saying "no, this one." Then twenty minutes, "no, no, no. THIS one is the FINAL one."

These stories are ALL so GOOD. Y'all kicked ass. Seriously.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 2:49am

Great post Chrissie!

It's 7.50am here in the UK and I am up and going to edit mine today haha!
I cannot stand to look at those typos and mistakes and repeated words any longer!

Also going to put in my beta's edits to tidy it up all round!

Glad I'm not alone in the 'tweakers club'!

And your story communicated fine to me x

Paula x

P.S. Oops, darn forgot I've got a big wedding to attend today....now where did I put Hal's invite???

Edited by NYCNewbie - 19 May 2018 at 2:51am
angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:44pm
Every time I go back to look at my piece, there are tiny things I want to tweak.  It's maddening.  I just had to make hard and fast decisions on the day and do the best I could, and I feel like I did that.  But it's so frustrating to see something tiny I'd want to change and think, "Damn you, former self, why didn't you catch that???"  
SUCH a long wait; I'm already going nuts.  This is crazy.  
 Post Reply Post Reply