NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Submission Happy Dance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Submission Happy Dance
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:04pm
Wow- what a rush!  24 hours.  How cool to be a part of this amazing community.  Thank you all.  I am better at this thing I do for having known you.

I raise my glass of wine to you and wish you all well.  
velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by angelagilbert angelagilbert wrote:

Wow- what a rush!  24 hours.  How cool to be a part of this amazing community.  Thank you all.  I am better at this thing I do for having known you.

Congrats! I just submitted mine too and I'm feeling great! (And excited for a restful Sunday!!)

Can't wait to see everyone's titles/synopses soon, and full stories later on!
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
jibwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:59pm
Feeling a bit deflated. Accidentally submitted a draft instead of saving it, and caught a few typos. Hopefully NYCM will accept the emailed version. Hopefully I saved the edits. Honestly, whatever. Where's the wine?

Edited by jibwriter - 12 May 2018 at 11:59pm
velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:01am
Originally posted by jibwriter jibwriter wrote:

Feeling a bit deflated. Accidentally submitted a draft instead of saving it, and caught a few typos. Hopefully NYCM will accept the emailed version. Hopefully I saved the edits. Honestly, whatever. Where's the wine?

They say in the submissions guidelines that they will accept any new versions before 11:59 pm, so I think you should be covered since you sent an updated version! Good luck!
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:14am
Holy crap, that was a freaking fire drill, down to the wire.  Submitted with four minutes to go.  I've submitted nine stories to the last three NYC contests, and I've never come this close to not making it.  Twenty-four hours for 1500 words is TOUGH.  What a nightmare!
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Jlpd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlpd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:35am
Oh my gosh! What a strressful day. That prompt have me a bit of a rough start. What did y'all think?
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:07am
I know there was no way to know what to expect from the prompt, and it STILL threw me for a loop right out of the gate. Picked an idea within one minute of waking up and ran with it. Had to take two showers throughout the day to step away and clear my head, sent my husband out of the house, drank ALL the wine, went through a thirty-minute near-meltdown in the late afternoon where I wanted to throw my computer out into the back yard and set it on fire, but then somehow by 8PM I had a completed story. What a day. Good luck, everyone!
Meggles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:50am
I didn’t have an idea I liked until 3pm.

At 1pm, I was definitely quitting. If I hadn’t already told a few people that I was in this contest, and knew they’d want to read whatever I submitted, I totally would’ve given up. 

The open genre thing was way harder than I expected!

But I came up with something I love, and I read it again just now and still love it. It’s deeeeeeeply personal, so maybe I just love it because I relate to it so much. Either way, good lord that was hard. Still, I’m so glad I did it.
FF 2021: C1
Mickey T View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:21am
I struggled with the 24 hours. Big time. I don't know how Jack Bauer does it.

Also had notions of penning a literary fiction piece but ended up committing to B-grade horror. Not sure if the judges will enjoy it, but I had a hoot writing it (despite my ridiculous weekend time restrictions).
Microfiction 2020 - Round 2: The Bearer
Microfiction 2020 - Round 1: Old Dog
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by angelagilbert angelagilbert wrote:

I have experienced PAIN in my life. Serious pain. I have had 2 children, the 2nd without ANY pain relief as they didn't believe I was in labour until I started mooing like a cow and 5 minutes later out she popped with a rocket-shaped head as she flew out so fast!

I broke my tib and fib straight across on my moped at 18 and have had laser eye surgery, which was worse than giving birth.

But that! THAT, awful, horrendous 24 hours was the worst pain I have EVER been through!

Squinting at the clock at 4.56m in the UK madly editing......don't know if they'll even accept my submission as they let me upload at 5.04am, but the clocks were all at 0.

Had a complete melt down. Felt such a failure! But I couldn't have done it without the support of the jewels on here who held my hand and kissed it all better! THANK YOU xxx

Looked at it again today and don't feel so bad. I'm just not sure the ending is clear enough and would pay to go back in time to just add one tiny phrase!

BUT, it's gone, done and cheers to everyone and well done to you all for the craziest journey so far!

Paula x

Edited by NYCNewbie - 13 May 2018 at 11:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>