NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenwriting Software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: What software did you use to write your screenplay?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [38.46%]
1 [1.92%]
4 [7.69%]
6 [11.54%]
5 [9.62%]
10 [19.23%]
5 [9.62%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:14am
I use Writer Duet and it seems to do all that I need of it and it’s free.  The only minor comments are 1) the cursor occasionally gets a bit lost on the page and you write / delete somewhere you weren’t expecting (annoying but infrequent) and 2) it bugs you a fair bit to upgrade... but fair enough I guess. For the frequency I write scripts (I.e. 2 or 3 times a year for these comps), it’s perfect. I guess once you get used to / attached to one it’s hard to change! 
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:28am
I used to use Celtx (free woo) but now I use Final Draft. Final draft 10 has a  beat board section, a timeline and character sheets you could spend hours on. Obviously we don't have that luxury though, so just beat board this time around! I wouldn't go back, but Celtx is an amazing free alternative. Highly recommend. 

Edit: if you're looking into getting Celtx, make sure you find the version that's free! It's still legit, but there's also a main version that they will ask you to buy. 

Edited by beckyrcollins - 01 May 2018 at 3:30am
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:17am
FD. It has never given me sh*t on a submission and I tend to think if you can afford it, you should spend on the things you use a lot.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:38am

I've been using Final Draft since Version 5, which was basically a series of macros for Word.  That would be late 90s... It's now Version 10 and it's pretty spectacular.  Don't take my word for it ... you can download the entire program and try it ... every feature ... you just can't save or print.  If you want to buy it, they just send you the key so you don't have to start all over again.  Infinitely customisable.  I just write straight into it now, using keyboard shortcuts. 

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:11am
Others I've used/use:

Trelby is freeish and does 95% of what I need. Exports to FDX and PDF, I suggest it for anyone starting out who's unsure about the whole screenwriting thing.

Final Draft Writer for iPad also hovers at the 95% mark, is cheap, and I can actually use my iPad with a keyboard on a tray table in coach. Theoretically anything you create in it works fine in FD and vice versa, and when that's been dubious, FD fixed the files.
Gandalf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gandalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:31am
WriterDuet. As noted before, this is of necessity for me, since my primary computer is a Chromebook, so I have to use a cloud-based program. Happy with it, though. WD is constantly updated, can do everything FD can do, and you can also export your file to fdx format - which is handy for when you sell your script for $1m and the studio asks for the screenplay in Final Draft. Wink

WD has also launched an off-line version called WriterSolo, which is useful for those people who feel uneasy about having their stuff saved in the cloud somewhere.
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:58pm
WriterDuet, although I have the paid version because I am in the UK and you have to buy if you want to write in UK Stageplay format, but it's not that expensive. I used it free for about a year before I upgraded and found it a million times better than Celtx (which was what I was previously using), but then a previous commenter had the exact opposite experience, so personal taste! Haven't tried Final Draft but vaguely remember being put off by the price.
weebil View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weebil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:52pm
WriterDuet. I paid for it, during a particularly flush week. I don't have much to compare it to, although I did just get a free copy of WriteBros Movie Magic from placing in the last contest. I installed it, but haven't felt compelled to spend too much time learning a new program mid stream.
WriterDuet has been fine, but they've had a few problems during the last upgrade..
the guy who created it is pretty on top of things, and keeps an eye on commentary on Reddit's screenwriting sub, and will weigh in to apologize, explain, answer questions, etc.

I appreciate that he cares enough to keep it personal.
Lynne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:52pm
Sophocles - has anyone used it? It is an older retired program that is pretty flexible. But I also use FD.
cyberk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:56am
I'll chip in another plug for WriterDuet. Celtx used to be my go-to, but WriterDuet is much smoother during the writing process (the editor just feels "smarter"). Having everything saved to the cloud is nice, as is offline mode and versioning in the Pro version. The live collaboration function is REALLY nice when you're working with external editors – I was able to collaborate in real-time with my another writer in copyediting their script.

As mentioned above, it's basically developed by one guy, who is happy to chat with you about anything at all. I'm a huge fan of web-based/cloud-based software. If I never have to deal with activation codes and installations again I'll be a happy camper.

Ultimately, all these tools will do the job. It's writing a screenplay, not a SpaceX launch.

Edited by cyberk - 02 May 2018 at 2:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>