NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

We turned a bedroom into my office. I have two monitors, a wraparound corner desk, some great pictures on the wall, and there's a window facing east to the mountain four blocks away. A small coral bark maple is outside the window, along with two bird feeders (suet and seed), so I get lots to look at if I want. But mostly when I write I tune everything out and just write, so I can write almost anywhere. My first novel was written mostly on the bus ride between home and work and back again.

I like the interesting view for the between times of inspiration and putting it down.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

A couple of you have said you've had success writing away from home, in coffee shops and the like. Man, I wish I could make that work. I might just be so helplessly introverted that I can't settle and focus on my writing when I'm away from my home base. 

I'm the same way - coffee shops and public places are way too distracting for me. I don't need to be home, per say, I've accomplished lost of good words while on vacations (on the lanai at a beach house, on the deck of a mountain cabin, etc) but I cannot focus when there are bunch of coming and goings and strangers milling about.

chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I've accomplished lost of good words while on vacations

Ohhhhh yes. My husband and I took a cruise last October and I spent most of the week on our balcony with a glass of wine (or several :P) prepping for NaNoWriMo. That was amazing.
lgeverdell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:37pm
I've painted my office orange. The colour of baked peaches. The guy who painted it was... suspicious. But it turned out amazing. It's warm and enlivening and inspiring. It's up in the eaves and I've covered the sloping walls in posters that say things like "it isn't going to write itself." So everywhere I look there's something that reminds me to stop staring at the walls and get back to writing. Plus it has a stable door and the top half opens up to look out over the valley our village nestles in. It's something else! It reminds me to feel lucky, even (especially) when my work is kicking my a*se.  
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:06pm
I have a tray table that fits my laptop and I'm usually in the living room, though at times when I have deadline pressure or just didn't feel I got enough done, I write in bed. Train trips are great for writing, but between flying internationally and wanting to actually have a vacation where I, well, vacate, I am NOT taking my laptop this summer. Notebooks will have to do.
kjumhoefer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjumhoefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Stephaleph22 Stephaleph22 wrote:

...[W]hen I am bored or in a rut, I google the desks of famous (and lesser known) authors.  

If I am lesser-known enough for you, my writing space is the backdrop for my website. Just in case I am breaking some sort of rule by mentioning it, I'll say if you asked me what it is, I would answer: "thenashvilleamerican dot com."
It is a standing desk, but more often than not, I sit in a leather office chair with my feet on an exersize ball as a footrest. And a keyboard plugged into the USB port, of course. Oh, and this is crucial: I have the screen zoomed in to 200%.

Also: there is a book about this, somewhere, about famous writers...It's so interesting to see how each writer finds their own ideal setting. Good topic!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123