NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephaleph22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Space
    Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:25pm
Just another anxious writer trying to pass the time. 

I am ferociously interested in the office spaces of fellow writers, and when I am bored or in a rut, I google the desks of famous (and lesser known) authors.  

For instance, my space is an extra room in my parents house. 
It has a small, ugly, yellow desk (I'm thinking of getting a bigger one) with a bowl of lit sage; 
a few donated bookshelves from one of my favorite college professors; 
an old brown couch;
and a lovely view of the pond and backwoods of Mississippi.
 On the walls, I've just put up a few small photos that my photographer friend took of me (including the one that is my avatar on here XD) 
All of this, and my quiet backroom, inspires me and keeps me motivated and focused. 

What does your space look like? What do you surround yourself with in order to write? 

Edited by Stephaleph22 - 09 Apr 2018 at 10:26pm
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:11pm
My writing space is the same place I do pretty much everything else...watch movies, play games, read books. I write on my couch or in my chair with my TV as a monitor.

I also like to write on my deck during the summer.

Edited by MattrickBT - 09 Apr 2018 at 11:12pm
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
jibwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Stephaleph22 Stephaleph22 wrote:

Just another anxious writer trying to pass the time. 

I am ferociously interested in the office spaces of fellow writers, and when I am bored or in a rut, I google the desks of famous (and lesser known) authors.  

For instance, my space is an extra room in my parents house. 
It has a small, ugly, yellow desk (I'm thinking of getting a bigger one) with a bowl of lit sage; 
a few donated bookshelves from one of my favorite college professors; 
an old brown couch;
and a lovely view of the pond and backwoods of Mississippi.
 On the walls, I've just put up a few small photos that my photographer friend took of me (including the one that is my avatar on here XD) 
All of this, and my quiet backroom, inspires me and keeps me motivated and focused. 

What does your space look like? What do you surround yourself with in order to write? 

There was a wonderful coffee shop I used to go to. Good coffee, not too expensive, good music and a good vibe. I could sit at the counter and look out the window when I needed a pause. I always enjoy the background noise of a cafe. It keeps the surface part of my brain occupied. Recently I moved and now I feel adrift. My home isn't really conducive to creative writing and the nearest cafe is a majorly pretentious hipster nightmare so I'll have to do some exploring to find my new "spot."

I read Mason Currey's book Daily Rituals and I highly recommend it. It's a compilation of the daily habits of famous creators and oddly fascinating. The only disappointment was the number of greats who seemed not to function without lots of drugs...
Briana Una View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briana Una Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:25pm
I write in an office under-construction. My husband is currently painting it for me. I told him I wanted it to look like the prologue scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast sounds, and he ran with it. He's got a purple-blue night sky on the ceiling, and crumbling fragments of stone wall all around. He's painted vines creeping everywhere, bells of Ireland to honor my dad (who just passed -- my husband made his casket spray, and bells of Ireland were prominent), delphiniums (painted the night I won a flash-fiction contest that I had been afraid to enter -- "Whenever you doubt your abilities, look at these delphiniums."), roses, and on and on -- and he's still working on it. He has done a lot of beautiful stage sets over the years, so this is up his alley and it's a labor of love.

I have a soft, light blue and gold rug from my dad's apartment, a French secretary desk, a bare but big window seat, and a nest-like daybed. 

It sounds more romantic than it is, because it really is under-construction: there are paint cans everywhere, and ladders, and bags of my dad's stuff in piles. But it's like this fantasy wilderness is growing up around me, and I really, really appreciate it.

Edited by Briana Una - 09 Apr 2018 at 11:52pm
Stephaleph22 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephaleph22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Briana Una Briana Una wrote:

I write in an office under-construction. My husband is currently painting it for me. I told him I wanted it to look like the prologue scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast sounds, and he ran with it. He's got a purple-blue night sky on the ceiling, and crumbling fragments of stone wall all around. He's painted vines creeping everywhere, bells of Ireland to honor my dad (who just passed), delphiniums (painted the night I won a flash-fiction contest that I had been afraid to enter -- "Whenever you doubt your abilities, look at these delphiniums."), roses, and on and on -- and he's still working on it. He has done a lot of beautiful stage sets over the years, so this is up his alley and it's a labor of love.

I have a soft, light blue and gold rug from my dad's apartment, a French secretary desk, a bare but big window seat, and a nest-like daybed. 

It sounds more romantic than it is, because it really is under-construction: there are paint cans everywhere, and ladders, and bags of my dad's stuff in piles. But it's like this fantasy wilderness is growing up around me, and I really, really appreciate it.

Ummm...your husband sounds amazing, where can I get one?
That's so beautiful about your dad. I love the vision of being surrounded by wilderness and history.
I dig it.
vanwijk88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanwijk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:38pm
Funnily enough, to write seriously, I normally take a rare retreat from the comfort of my bedroom to take a seat at my family's dining table. With an open plan lounge and kitchen rolled into the dining area, and my totally mad family (two younger siblings, two dogs and my parents being super childish), it's an area of total chaos. Perhaps I somehow find peace in the storm. XD

Otherwise, I'll sometime write on my laptop from the comfort of my bed but often, I just can't motivate myself the same way.
FFC 2020 R2: 250 Beats per Minute (Thriller)

"I intend to live forever or die trying."
Briana Una View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briana Una Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Stephaleph22 Stephaleph22 wrote:

I write in an office under-construction. My husband is currently painting it for me. I told him I wanted it to look like the prologue scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast sounds, and he ran with it. He's got a purple-blue night sky on the ceiling, and crumbling fragments of stone wall all around. He's painted vines creeping everywhere, bells of Ireland to honor my dad (who just passed), delphiniums (painted the night I won a flash-fiction contest that I had been afraid to enter -- "Whenever you doubt your abilities, look at these delphiniums."), roses, and on and on -- and he's still working on it. He has done a lot of beautiful stage sets over the years, so this is up his alley and it's a labor of love.

Ummm...your husband sounds amazing, where can I get one?
That's so beautiful about your dad. I love the vision of being surrounded by wilderness and history.
I dig it.

He is such a wonderful human being. Good-hearted, and when you squeeze him art comes out -- whether it's painting, cooking, baking, or something else. 

And yes -- more than anything else, seeing the room reflect our lives as it grows more and more complex is empowering, somehow.   

Edited by Briana Una - 09 Apr 2018 at 11:44pm
Stephaleph22 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephaleph22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:54pm

when you squeeze him art comes out 

I laughed so hard, thank you for that gem of a line! 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 1:11am
Part of my open plan living/kitchen facing a lot of windows to interesting landscape on a desk bought purposely large to hold everything: laptop, monitor, printer and all my fidgeting stuff.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:14am
I write either on the couch with a show I've watched a million times as background noise, or in my spare bedroom at a desk covered with inspirational writing quotes and nerdy little trinkets. Mostly the couch. :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>