NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy dream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy dream
    Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:48pm
Last night I had this crazy dream that I made it through to SSC round 3. But then on the day of the competition, I only managed to submit a story that was exactly one word. And that word wasn't even English! (It was "tavolo," which means "table" in Italian.) 

So the good news is that if this dream turns out to be a premonition, that's one less competitor the round 3-ers have to worry about!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Qatra Qatra wrote:

Last night I had this crazy dream that I made it through to SSC round 3. But then on the day of the competition, I only managed to submit a story that was exactly one word. And that word wasn't even English! (It was "tavolo," which means "table" in Italian.) 

So the good news is that if this dream turns out to be a premonition, that's one less competitor the round 3-ers have to worry about!

Maybe in the dream your chosen genre was "surrealism"?
kjumhoefer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjumhoefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:45pm
Awesome! Thanks for sharing : )

Hey, what you end up using that as your title? What if your story somehow incorporates this premonition...oh damn, I kinda hope you get knocked out in round 2 now...You'd be unbeatable in the next one!
Qatra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 6:18pm
Jennifer: Ha! I'm definitely taking the prize in surrealism!

Kjum: Yes! Yes... *rubs hands together like a melodrama villain* Mwa ha ha!
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 3:34pm
That's awesome. How hilarious would if be if every person who submitted a story in round three submitted that one word, but the titles and synopses were different? That would be fun. 
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 3:42pm
This is maybe the tamest dream I have ever heard.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
kjumhoefer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjumhoefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by HeatherL HeatherL wrote:

That's awesome. How hilarious would if be if every person who submitted a story in round three submitted that one word, but the titles and synopses were different? That would be fun. 

Mind...blown...To go way off on a tangent (which is where this thread started): I read a short story once by Jorge Luis Borges called "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote," where someone recreates the entire novel "Don Quixote." And this is absurd, right? Because we could all do that with a copy and paste. But Borges is saying Pierre Menard hammers out each word as though it meant something new. Almost by coincidence, then, does it come out exactly like "Don Quixote." So with "tavolo," we each submit a title and synopsis, and that is our only chance to interpret the word.

Thanks @HeatherL, and thanks @Qatra again for your crazy dream!
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by kjumhoefer kjumhoefer wrote:

Originally posted by HeatherL HeatherL wrote:

Mind...blown...To go way off on a tangent (which is where this thread started): I read a short story once by Jorge Luis Borges called "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote," where someone recreates the entire novel "Don Quixote." And this is absurd, right? Because we could all do that with a copy and paste. But Borges is saying Pierre Menard hammers out each word as though it meant something new. Almost by coincidence, then, does it come out exactly like "Don Quixote." So with "tavolo," we each submit a title and synopsis, and that is our only chance to interpret the word.

Thanks @HeatherL, and thanks @Qatra again for your crazy dream!

Yes, exactly!!! I love it!
 Post Reply Post Reply