NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R3 Open Genre - What will you write?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R3 Open Genre - What will you write?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:08pm
OK, firstly, this is not me placing a ticket on myself rather I phrased the question as an optimistic 'will' because why the heck not put that out there.  We can do this!  ("Right?"Confused)

So to the question:

The genre is unspecified in the next round.  So far, I've had to write Sci-fi and Fairytale neither of which I would have attempted without being told to. The idea of an 'open genre' is now a bit scary.  Will you stick with what you feel your voice fits well with or will you try something different?

Thanks for engaging!
the4uthor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the4uthor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:33pm
Is it unspecified? :o

I usually write historical fiction and fantasy, so if I want to write something strong I would probably try to draw from the familiar. Not having a specific assignment is a seriously daunting idea, though, when it comes to writing something in 24 hours.
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:35pm
Drama. That gives me the most freedom. I'll just write a single scene.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:54pm
I won't have to worry about it but this is a fascinating thread. So...doesn't that mean you can start working on it now and not really be limited by the 24H time frame?
PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by HeatherL HeatherL wrote:

I won't have to worry about it but this is a fascinating thread. So...doesn't that mean you can start working on it now and not really be limited by the 24H time frame?

Good question.  I probably wouldn't set up a framework - just because you still get prompts to include I think and I wouldn't want to limit myself by having to shoe-horn them into something I' already worked on.

Not that I expect to have the luxury of this problem btw!

I am however wondering about the style/genre I might go for.  Hence me starting this thread!

Good luck to you
PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by the4uthor the4uthor wrote:

Is it unspecified? :o

I haven't done this comp (or any comp) before BUT I think in R3 you get prompts but no genre.
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by PennyForThem PennyForThem wrote:

Originally posted by HeatherL HeatherL wrote:

Good question.  I probably wouldn't set up a framework - just because you still get prompts to include I think and I wouldn't want to limit myself by having to shoe-horn them into something I' already worked on.

Ah. I didn't know you still got prompts. Well that makes it more interesting!

Good luck to you too!!!!
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:16pm
Midwestern gothic...which I end up forcing on half of the other genres anyway. >.> (Except fantasy. I let fantasy be fantasy.)
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
waxwing View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote waxwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:28pm
I am 70% Vulcan, yet I survived romantic comedy in round one. In round two; romantic bleeping comedy again. Sigh. If I survive to round three, I guess I should choose romantic comedy. It is only logical.
Kali42 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kali42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 12:32am
For round 2 I went back and shoved the genre in by brute force after I was done with the story. I could skip that step in round 3!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>