FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R3 Open Genre - What will you write?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R3 Open Genre - What will you write?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:42am
Perhaps something un-romantic, for a change.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:36am
Originally posted by SheriLS SheriLS wrote:

Through the Flash Fiction and this competition, I have written some genres that I was not overly familiar with (ghost and suspense) and some I'd never written before (political science, crime caper).  
Normally, I think of something and write it down.  I let it unfold.  So, if I were to make it to the last round, I would just let the prompts guide me and just write.  This usually means I end up with a blend of genres.

Hey, fab! That makes total sense, thanks x

SheriLS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SheriLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:34pm
Through the Flash Fiction and this competition, I have written some genres that I was not overly familiar with (ghost and suspense) and some I'd never written before (political science, crime caper).  
Normally, I think of something and write it down.  I let it unfold.  So, if I were to make it to the last round, I would just let the prompts guide me and just write.  This usually means I end up with a blend of genres.
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:06pm
Hard to say without the other prompts. But I would attempt some sort of sci-fi, maybe something lighter and on the humorous side.
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by PennyForThem PennyForThem wrote:

Originally posted by LyndaD LyndaD wrote:

Originally posted by Clare1564 Clare1564 wrote:

In the rules it says you are given a genre...

3rd Round (May 11, 2018 thru May 12, 2018) : The top 3 writers from each Heat in the 2nd round are placed in
the final heat, with a maximum total of 75 writers. The Heat receives a new Genre, Subject and Character
assignment
that must be included in the story. 

Is this not correct then?

Yes, you're given new prompts. The prompt for genre usually says 'open'. That's what they mean by open genre.

I feel responsible for this confusion given I started the post. If you look at the finalist stories from last year they are in 'open' genre. I'm fairly confident therefore, and given other posts corroborate this, that the genre is unspecified.

Yes, if you look at the information for the second round, it basically says the same thing: contestants will be given a new genre, subject and character.  They mean new as in not the same as the previous round.  For the third round, the genre is listed as 'open' -- you get to choose. When you submit, you identify the genre you feel your story best suits.
PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by LyndaD LyndaD wrote:

3rd Round (May 11, 2018 thru May 12, 2018) : The top 3 writers from each Heat in the 2nd round are placed in
the final heat, with a maximum total of 75 writers. The Heat receives a new Genre, Subject and Character
assignment
that must be included in the story. 

Yes, you're given new prompts. The prompt for genre usually says 'open'. That's what they mean by open genre.

I feel responsible for this confusion given I started the post. If you look at the finalist stories from last year they are in 'open' genre. I'm fairly confident therefore, and given other posts corroborate this, that the genre is unspecified.
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:22pm

3rd Round (May 11, 2018 thru May 12, 2018) : The top 3 writers from each Heat in the 2nd round are placed in the final heat, with a maximum total of 75 writers. The Heat receives a new Genre, Subject and Character assignment that must be included in the story. 

Clare1564 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare1564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:27pm

3rd Round (May 11, 2018 thru May 12, 2018) : The top 3 writers from each Heat in the 2nd round are placed in the final heat, with a maximum total of 75 writers. The Heat receives a new Genre, Subject and Character assignment that must be included in the story. 

HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Heartstart Heartstart wrote:

Originally posted by HeatherL HeatherL wrote:

Originally posted by Heartstart Heartstart wrote:

Is Round 3 really an open genre? Rule 8 states:

"3rd Round (May 11, 2018 thru May 12, 2018) : The top 3 writers from each Heat in the 2nd round are placed in the final heat, with a maximum total of 75 writers. The Heat receives a new Genre, Subject and Character assignment that must be included in the story. The results of the previous rounds have no effect on the judging in the 3 rd Round, and the writers that are chosen as 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, etc… in the 3rd Round will be the overall winners of the Short Story Challenge 2018." (bolding mine).

That's interesting. If all genres were used in the previous two rounds, then a "new" genre" can't be assigned. It wouldn't be new to everyone. Unless they consider "open genre" to be a genre. In that case, it would be the only genre that would qualify as "new" to every round 3 participant.

I assumed that it meant "new to Round 3", rather than "new to the overall competition". 

Personally, I don't think of an Open theme as a genre in itself. It's more like the absence of a genre.  

I'm not sure how a genre could be "new" to round 3 if round three hadn't happened yet. Saying, "new genre" implies there was an "old" genre or "previous" genre. Those moving from round 2 to round 3 would have already experienced genre assignments (previous/old), so a "new genre" must be relative to that. I agree that "open" is not a genre. I was just trying to walk through the logic of their phrasing.
Krysta View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krysta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 1:23pm
Almost certainly drama. It's what I write most of the time, and gives me a lot of room to work in. Even the sci fi I had to do for round 1 was very drama-y.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>