NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The return of Amazing Stories magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvolion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The return of Amazing Stories magazine
    Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:11am
Or at least the attempt to relaunch it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1898637184/the-return-of-amazing-stories-magazine.

Edited by cvolion - 29 Mar 2018 at 4:08pm
Flash Fiction 2023
C2: The Spy Who Came in for the Cocoa (1st)
C3: Driving Circuit
weebil View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weebil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 3:49pm
404 error
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm
I just read your story. I loved it. Very clever! Congrats and good luck in round 2!
cvolion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvolion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by weebil weebil wrote:

404 error

Hm. An extra space was inserted at the end of the url. I just updated it. Sorry!
Flash Fiction 2023
cvolion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvolion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by HeatherL HeatherL wrote:

I just read your story. I loved it. Very clever! Congrats and good luck in round 2!

Thank you! I enjoyed reading yours, too. I'm afraid that I have nothing more to add to the feedback it's already received, but will let you know that I also appreciate the landscaping-as-grafitti angle. Well done!
Flash Fiction 2023
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by cvolion cvolion wrote:

Thank you! I enjoyed reading yours, too. I'm afraid that I have nothing more to add to the feedback it's already received, but will let you know that I also appreciate the landscaping-as-grafitti angle. Well done!

Oh wow, thank you!!! The feedback I got was so helpful. And I can't believe I forgot to go back and add the actual message that was carved in the shrubs...oh well. lol. Live and learn!!
cvolion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvolion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm

Oh wow, thank you!!! The feedback I got was so helpful. And I can't believe I forgot to go back and add the actual message that was carved in the shrubs...oh well. lol. Live and learn!!
Ha! I took its absence to be deliberate. In the context of the story the real message was in the act of putting it there, right? Like Bill Murray's inaudible whisper into Scarlet Jo's ear at the end of Lost in Translation. The whisper was more important than what was whispered.

So what had you worked out for the actual message?
Flash Fiction 2023
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:04pm

Ha! I took its absence to be deliberate. In the context of the story the real message was in the act of putting it there, right? Like Bill Murray's inaudible whisper into Scarlet Jo's ear at the end of Lost in Translation. The whisper was more important than what was whispered.

So what had you worked out for the actual message?

No...Yeah, I mean yeah, it was deliberate. lol I actually like your take on it better. 

But I revised it (just for myself) and fixed some errors and included the message:

Mi corazón es tuyo mi hija   (my heart is yours my daughter)
cvolion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvolion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:17pm

Ooooooh... Heart

If you'll indulge my plot-addled imagination I'd love to see a draft where the final gunshot is portrayed more as an act of desperation by a man who is cornered by the police and doesn't want to go back to jail or to be deported (after the reader is utterly convinced that he was intending to force the doctor to implant the heart into his daughter) and then you find out after the fact that this was the message in the flower bed.

Or maybe this idea is a t**ser LOL In any event, thanks for sharing. 
Flash Fiction 2023
HeatherL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 11:13pm

Ooooooh... Heart

If you'll indulge my plot-addled imagination I'd love to see a draft where the final gunshot is portrayed more as an act of desperation by a man who is cornered by the police and doesn't want to go back to jail or to be deported (after the reader is utterly convinced that he was intending to force the doctor to implant the heart into his daughter) and then you find out after the fact that this was the message in the flower bed.

Or maybe this idea is a t**ser LOL In any event, thanks for sharing. 

lol Actually, I initially had him getting cornered by police and shooting himself but didn't know how to make it believable that several cops would be going after him for carving up hospital shrubs. Guess I could have made him a black guy. :-( Also worried about getting it known that he wanted his heart to go to her...how to keep the cops from just taking his body...I love your ideas and passion...makes it so much fun. This contest is so cool because there is no way on earth I would have ever put those elements into any kind of story but it was so much fun to do!!! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>