NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Screenwriting Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

Well, I wasn't going to, but after the results last night, and with it being the last day before the price went up... I'm in ;)

YAY!
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:01pm
Hi,

I've signed up.
Have no idea what I'm doing of course, but have printed off NYCM's guidance and rules for screenwriting format, going to have a look at Suave's suggested software and bought a book called 'Save the Cat' by Blake Snyder.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00340ESIS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

So, by the time it comes around, I'll be like someone who can't cook who has bought Delia Smith's book on how to boil and egg and hopefully just follow the recipe and see what happens!

I'll probably use a few of the prompts from this challenge to do a practice run or two to see if I can translate writing prose into a screenplay.

But hey ho! No guts, no glory eh?!

Paula x
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:06pm
Some advice re: save the cat and screenplay books in general - they're all big fans of three act, but sometimes three act is a bit much for the page limits in these comps. Definitely read it all and take the lessons on board, but don't be afraid to follow your instincts when it comes to structure.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

Some advice re: save the cat and screenplay books in general - they're all big fans of three act, but sometimes three act is a bit much for the page limits in these comps. Definitely read it all and take the lessons on board, but don't be afraid to follow your instincts when it comes to structure.

Thanks Ed,

Coming from a tried and tested winner, I know that will be sound advice!
I've skim read a bit of it and I agree that so far, there is so much to take in and so much 'opinion' that may fly in the face of gut instinct.
I've no real idea yet how I will approach it, but may end up writing a standard story format with whatever comes and then try to translate that into a screenplay so that 'head thoughts'/'scene descriptions' etc. are done as voiceovers and whatever those bits at the start of passages are called - you know...EXT. NIGHT. A CAFE etc.
Just got the bug now, so fancied having a crack at it. I may bottle it by the time I get there as really need to practice and do LOTS of research!

Thank you for you kind advice!

Paula
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

Hi,

I've signed up.
Have no idea what I'm doing of course, but have printed off NYCM's guidance and rules for screenwriting format, going to have a look at Suave's suggested software and bought a book called 'Save the Cat' by Blake Snyder.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00340ESIS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

So, by the time it comes around, I'll be like someone who can't cook who has bought Delia Smith's book on how to boil and egg and hopefully just follow the recipe and see what happens!

I'll probably use a few of the prompts from this challenge to do a practice run or two to see if I can translate writing prose into a screenplay.

But hey ho! No guts, no glory eh?!

Paula x

My first screenplay ever was last year's comp. Key is to remember that everything in the script must be able to be seen or heard. No internal monologues. I signed up to improve my dialogue and to be more concise. 

It's just a different way of telling a story. And really a ton of fun.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:48pm
Sounds good, Paula. Let me know if you want a beta reader when the comp gets going.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 4:19pm
[/QUOTE]

My first screenplay ever was last year's comp. Key is to remember that everything in the script must be able to be seen or heard. No internal monologues. I signed up to improve my dialogue and to be more concise. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lisa,

That is really good advice, thank you. (Can feel my bum cheeks twitching a bit now in fear haha!)
But you're right. I LOVED doing the SSC and as it was my first ever go at a story and really rough around the edges, I've read enough to know the judges will probably hammer me for not sticking to the genre, for telling not showing and for all my stray commas etc. I just thought, I can't leave it at that, I need to put all this wonderful feedback from the forum into practice and have another go.

Everyone on here has been so wonderfully warm and welcoming and encouraging ....and, if I were to give anyone new to any of these competitions some helpful advice, it would be to join the forum and get stuck in. The feedback is gold.

Paula x

Edited by NYCNewbie - 22 Mar 2018 at 5:48pm
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

Sounds good, Paula. Let me know if you want a beta reader when the comp gets going.

Ed, that really is so kind and also really scary!
But I mean that in the best possible way, as putting yourself out there in the first place is hard (as you will well know), but I am so grateful and would definitely value the advice from a master such as yourself and am humbled you've offered.

Thank you most sincerely once again for your generous offer.
Let's see if I have the guts to go for it once we get there!

Paula

Edited by NYCNewbie - 22 Mar 2018 at 4:27pm
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

[/QUOTE]<

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lisa,

That is really good advice, thank you. (Can feel my bum cheeks twitching a bit now in fear haha!)
But you're right. I LOVED doing the SSC and as it was my first ever go at a story and really rough around the edges, I've read enough to know the judges will probably hammer me for not sticking to the genre, for telling not showing and for all my stray commas etc. I just thought, I can't leave it at that, I need to put all this wonderful feedback from the forum into practice and have another go.

Everyone on here (with only one arrogant exception - who has not fed back on my story, but whose arrogance in his feedback on others incensed me) has been so wonderfully warm and welcoming and encouraging ....and, if I were to give anyone new to any of these competitions some helpful advice, it would be to join the forum and get stuck in. The feedback is gold.

Re: the person above in brackets. Check out my feedback on his story. He totally missed my acrostic in the first 3 lines of my feedback.
Going to get banned from the forum now aren't I?!!

Paula x[/QUOTE]

Nope, I highly doubt you'll get barred from the forum.

I find that the vast majority of folks who hang out here do have others' best interests in mind when they provide feedback, treating this place like a writers' workshop. They're smart, talented and respectful - I've learned a tremendous amount by spending time here. 

Just ignore the select few who like to make themselves feel better by knocking others down. Not worth your time or aggravation.

Look forward to seeing you in Screenplay. Welcome to the party!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 6:56pm
In my opinion, this is the best comp they offer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>