NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Screenwriting Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:50am
I'm in.  Whether I decide to post (or not) these days is as unpredictable as the prompts.

Edited by DBA Lehane - 16 Apr 2018 at 4:51am
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:53am
Not long now!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
lgeverdell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:28pm
So I signed up in a fit of... something impulsive that might also have been gluttony for punishment... and I'm sure people have asked this before but...

Does anyone have any tips for a relative screenwriting beginner on not psyching myself out about the formatting. I know the basics and I have scrivener but I'm not that well-practiced in using it in screenplay mode. 

Payment in good vibes and universe-kindness credits Smile
jellysted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellysted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:42pm
It's a busy weekend coming, but I'm looking forward to this! Does anyone know if there's somewhere on the website that lists all the genres? 

Good luck, everyone!

Naomi
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:42pm
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by lgeverdell lgeverdell wrote:

So I signed up in a fit of... something impulsive that might also have been gluttony for punishment... and I'm sure people have asked this before but...

Does anyone have any tips for a relative screenwriting beginner on not psyching myself out about the formatting. I know the basics and I have scrivener but I'm not that well-practiced in using it in screenplay mode. 

Biggest thing (for me) is to remember this is a screenplay and not a stage play. That is, you need to be sure that this is visual and active. Dialog, of course, carries it, but long speechifying might not be useful. 

BUT I have never progressed past the second round, so what do I know? 
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 4:46pm

Writerduet is an awesome screenwriting software that has a free version. If you get it and play around a bit, it won't take long at all to get the hang of it. It basically formats itself, and you just select dialogue, character, etc. at the top. It's really user-friendly. 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm

As someone who wrote her first screenplay ever in last year's contest, I can relate to the format-anxiety.

It's not that bad once you get the hang of it. Remember to not have any big bulky blocks of text and what you write needs to be seen or heard (no internal monologues).  Otherwise I look at it as just a different way of telling a story. I still outline the same way I would for a short story, still have the same challenges in staying to word count/page count. Know that sometimes editing one word can make all the difference for page counts.

I've used Amazon Storywriter for the comps I've done here so far, and it's really easy.

You'll be fine - just write and have fun. And welcome to the party.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:12pm
+1 on Lisa's comment about word count. Make *every word* count. Because of formatting restrictions, you have much less space to spill out your thoughts. Five or six words per line, and something that goes over four lines looks really huge.

But - you can also ask for help! There are plenty of people here who can offer you assistance in formatting, structure, dialog, beta reading, and so on. Just ask!
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

lgeverdell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 1:34pm
Thank you thank you thank you!! Feeling less freaked out now Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>