NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Screenwriting Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

In my opinion, this is the best comp they offer.

Thanks Tracy!
Gutted for you hun re: round 1 nonsense, but I do hope you get that story published!
It's still up there as my favourite and I can even quote from it....'all fibres and fingernails'! etc.

At a teachers' conference from tomorrow till Monday but after that have 2 weeks off so I'm going to try and get my head round how to write a screen play and we'll see I guess.

Really loved meeting all of you lovely people on here who are so warm and supportive!

Paula x
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

In my opinion, this is the best comp they offer.

Thanks Tracy!
Gutted for you hun re: round 1 nonsense, but I do hope you get that story published!
It's still up there as my favourite and I can even quote from it....'all fibres and fingernails'! etc.

At a teachers' conference from tomorrow till Monday but after that have 2 weeks off so I'm going to try and get my head round how to write a screen play and we'll see I guess.

Really loved meeting all of you lovely people on here who are so warm and supportive!

Paula x

By the way, as I'm new here (probably get in bother now!)...is it normal for so many folk to post their stories after the results are out?
There seems to be a flood now coming in, but I thought the point was to share after posting with fellow entrants to have peer reviews before judging wrapped up?
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:12pm

I've signed up.

Huzzah! Be prepared to fall in love. If you need anything drop me a line.

Another book I just started rereading is "Good Scripts, Bad Scripts." I love the simple breakdowns on arc, structure and why something didn't work in various film examples. It's not a blueprint or very finely detailed about mechanics, though.

Have fun! :-)
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:23pm
Paula, thanks as ever for the support. I'm being quoted, woohoo!

I don't know why so many folks are posting now. You do get stragglers, especially if they place (a confidence boost is the push some need, even if it's after the fact). Maybe newcomers also read that people wish they could check out more stories from heats with little forum action?

These contests are becoming highly unpredictable. With so many competitors and other variables, it's hard to know anything anymore. I'm here for the community and the kick in the ass. I'm starting to write more regularly now, so I'm chuffed.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:42pm

Paula, thanks as ever for the support. I'm being quoted, woohoo!

I don't know why so many folks are posting now. You do get stragglers, especially if they place (a confidence boost is the push some need, even if it's after the fact). Maybe newcomers also read that people wish they could check out more stories from heats with little forum action?

These contests are becoming highly unpredictable. With so many competitors and other variables, it's hard to know anything anymore. I'm here for the community and the kick in the ass. I'm starting to write more regularly now, so I'm chuffed.

Excellent!

I get how it's super scary, so totally understand why some gain confidence once they find they've progressed.
It is really hard to put yourself out there, like standing up naked and then someone highlighting your 'Scaramanga' issues in front of everyone!

Really pleased your writing more, I want to read EVERYTHING you write!

The feedback from my first go on here has given me more than I can express in the short time I've been here. I'll feel so much stronger for it and far more equipped for entering anything in the future!

I know I can appear overly sugary and positive, but if you ever want yet another beta, support or just an additional eye, drop me a line: paula.wescott@googlemail.com.

Much love to you sat in the right saddle for you writing your waterfalls of sunlight!

Paula x

P.S. They do need to cap the entrants if they can't get results out on time.... it will all implode if not.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:44pm

I've signed up.

Another book I just started rereading is "Good Scripts, Bad Scripts." I love the simple breakdowns on arc, structure and why something didn't work in various film examples. It's not a blueprint or very finely detailed about mechanics, though.

Just seen this thank you. Genuinely feel like the Queen just asked me to tea!
I'll look that up!
Px
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:51am

I've signed up.

Thanks, Vernacula - hadn't heard of this one yet, but it sounds good. I'm off to Amazon:)
susiehunt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote susiehunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 4:28am
Hi everyone!

Just signed up for the first time ever - eeek! 

I work in script development for a living and although I have a load of experience picking apart and analysing other people's scripts I have never really ever tried creating anything myself. So I may find that my career is a severe case of the Emperor's New Clothes, which is a rather scary prospect! 

One question I do have for those who have entered before is how the judges score scripts? Like are there particular aspects that you have found in the past that have seriously harmed your progression in the competition that you didn't realise would be so important? I don't want to make this a box ticking exercise, but at the same time I don't want to inadvertently shoot myself in the foot either! 

Thanks!!

Susie

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 5:51am
Originally posted by susiehunt susiehunt wrote:

Hi everyone!

Just signed up for the first time ever - eeek! 

I work in script development for a living and although I have a load of experience picking apart and analysing other people's scripts I have never really ever tried creating anything myself. So I may find that my career is a severe case of the Emperor's New Clothes, which is a rather scary prospect! 

One question I do have for those who have entered before is how the judges score scripts? Like are there particular aspects that you have found in the past that have seriously harmed your progression in the competition that you didn't realise would be so important? I don't want to make this a box ticking exercise, but at the same time I don't want to inadvertently shoot myself in the foot either! 

Thanks!!

Susie

This will be my first try at this as well.  I am just learning the technical side of the screenwriting - that is my biggest hurdle, the creativity I can handle.  From what I can gather, you are ok shooting yourself in the left foot, but stay away from the right.  Good luck!
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:44pm
I would say different judges have different margins of error, as opposed to different standards, when it comes to mechanical issues (proofreading, format, use of prompts). Some judges have more ambitious notions for what can be crammed into the shortest page counts than others. From what people here have said, I think we all have moments when we wonder if a particular judge read the same thing we wrote.

In short it's a lot like other legitimate contests. Confused Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>