NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Political Satire No Shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SisterRosetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:13am
Does anybody have any recommendations (inside or outside the forum) for great short story pol-sat? I appreciated some of the examples provided in the genre description, but they mostly seemed to be either long form (1984) or TV (SNL). 

Not that the difference in form makes them irrelevant, but I'd be curious to read something that's tailored to the short story structure.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:19am
Originally posted by SisterRosetta SisterRosetta wrote:

Does anybody have any recommendations (inside or outside the forum) for great short story pol-sat? I appreciated some of the examples provided in the genre description, but they mostly seemed to be either long form (1984) or TV (SNL). 

Not that the difference in form makes them irrelevant, but I'd be curious to read something that's tailored to the short story structure.

Sister ... I have a couple of mine I can share ... I'll post a link tomorrow .. It's bedtime tomorrow down here!

Did you have a look at the POLITICAL SATIRE DISCUSSION?

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 12 Feb 2018 at 6:25am
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:20am
maybe try "a modest proposal"
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:21am
Kafka has a bunch of short stories that would qualify as well
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:24am
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

maybe try "a modest proposal"

Swift was nearly arrested and tried for suggesting the way to solve the Irish problem was cooking and eating their children! Great fun .. Great political satire ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
SisterRosetta View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SisterRosetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Sister ... I have a couple of mine I can share ... I'll post a link tomorrow .. It's bedtime tomorrow down here!

Thanks, I hadn't seen it, but I've checked it out now and there are a couple of good recommendations in there! Looking forward to your links when you have time. :)

Interestingly, two of my favourite pieces from the last couple of years have dodged the political satire label. I loved Paul Beatty's "The Sellout", but he doesn't warm to calling himself a 'satirist', and Jordan Peele tweeted that 'Get Out' was a documentary (not that it sits squarely in pol-sat, but you could argue it has a strong angle that way). I can understand why some feel the genre has its limits - political satire can have real bite, but it can also distract discussion away from the original issue.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:55am

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't seen it, but I've checked it out now and there are a couple of good recommendations in there! Looking forward to your links when you have time. :)

Interestingly, two of my favourite pieces from the last couple of years have dodged the political satire label. I loved Paul Beatty's "The Sellout", but he doesn't warm to calling himself a 'satirist', and Jordan Peele tweeted that 'Get Out' was a documentary (not that it sits squarely in pol-sat, but you could argue it has a strong angle that way). I can understand why some feel the genre has its limits - political satire can have real bite, but it can also distract discussion away from the original issue.

Peele does satire so well (even when tweeting, natch), and it's evident in Get Out...which is why a horror film is in contention for Best Picture. I'm so tickled that it is, and am rooting for him all the way.
Geckomac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geckomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:34pm
admins: please delete this post

Edited by Geckomac - 12 Feb 2018 at 2:27pm
Geckomac
Geckomac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geckomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:36pm
Sorry - don't know how to delete a post.

Edited by Geckomac - 12 Feb 2018 at 2:18pm
Geckomac
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12