NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Political Satire No Shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Political Satire No Shows
    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 5:46pm
Only 6 posted Political Satires posted with 2 empty heats.  

What's that all about? 

Nuke
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 7:09pm
not an easy genre!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:26pm
Wild guess?  Even the Genre definition examples blurs the line between satire and commentary.  This might be the most misunderstood, hardest genre on the list.  You might hate the others, but at least you know what you're hating when you do!

You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig.

This sig intentionally blank
dundeegirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundeegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
I just wish more folks would actually read and review the political satire. I had someone tell me that they hated politics, so they didn't want to read them! Ugh. I wish they would remove the genre if folks are so confused about it.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by dundeegirl dundeegirl wrote:

I just wish more folks would actually read and review the political satire. I had someone tell me that they hated politics, so they didn't want to read them! Ugh. I wish they would remove the genre if folks are so confused about it.

And therein lies the rub.  Any political piece is pretty much going to piss off at least 55% of the people who read it; 45% who disagree with something you said, and 10% who disagree with everything.

This was mentioned on a different thread, and NYCM said they're going to look at genres later this year and get feedback.  The suggestion was to remove 'political' and just make it satire, which would still be difficult but at least it's not a guarantee that everyone is coming after you with torches and pitchforks.

In self-defense I've got three or four ideas for a political satire piece rolling around in my head should I be unfortunate enough to get the short straw.  I'd hate to get that one cold.
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:45pm
I have 600 words of four different stories written and abandoned if anyone comes up short in the Pol. Sat. category.  I went through the 2nd round challenge from 2017's contest and noticed they did not include it in that round. It also seemed to be the less used genre in this one.  I guess I'm just lucky to have gotten in. I was pretty positive I was stepping on toes when I wrote mine.
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

I have 600 words of four different stories written and abandoned if anyone comes up short in the Pol. Sat. category.  I went through the 2nd round challenge from 2017's contest and noticed they did not include it in that round. It also seemed to be the less used genre in this one.  I guess I'm just lucky to have gotten in. I was pretty positive I was stepping on toes when I wrote mine.

Ah, but the rules state specifically that all work must be done after the prompts drop and before the deadline.  No dusting off half-done pieces, sorting out a few words, and submitting.  See section 16.

Yes, I read the rules.  Worst story of the bunch; if that one makes it to round 2 we'll know the judges were bought.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 7:10pm
Almost every polsat piece I've read over the past two years have been about Trump. I just can't read them anymore. Pinch
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 7:35pm

Political Satire is easy. First, it doesn't have to be comedy or about a politician (especially not Trump!) ... it just has to be politically topical. It can be serious ... deadly serious.  Gun Control. Assassination.  Abortion.  Affairs with interns.

The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

It can be a serious allegory ... Arthur Miller's THE CRUCIBLE as a riff on the MaCarthy Era Communist Witchhunts ... or the current "ME, TOO" exposures ...

I did a gun range on the Mexican/American border where you could pay to shoot illegals crossing into Arizona ...

Just think outside the genre box ... or use it as a soap box ... take it up a notch.  Political satire is a weapon. 

If you want some good examples of Political Satire, check out the Facebook channel THE ONION or SURREALISTIC REALITY or just Google "Political Satire" ... a lot of people actually believe this xhit!

http://www.facebook.com/SurrealisticRealityPage/videos/219308478642614/

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 11 Feb 2018 at 9:57pm
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 5:43am
* not easy to write something of quality
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>