NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Struggling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Struggling
    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:29pm
Hey you guys, how is the final draft coming along? I am a newbie and been struggling to create a genuine rom-com without it coming off as I'm trying too hard. Any advice? Also, does the story have to be exactly 2500 words or close to it?
LF
scriber View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scriber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:32pm
There is no minimum amount of words, just do your best to avoid going over, there's certain percentage penalties depending how many words you go over.  :) 

It's better to try too hard then not have tried at all. It's not too late to have someone beta read your story, it can be helpful. Welcome to the forum! 
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:32pm
It has to be less than 2500 words, but I generally use every. last. one.

RomCom's are kind of formulaic, you have the MC, a meet cute, complications and confusion, then everything gets straightened out.
And they don't have to be LOL funny, just light and cute.
sarahnut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:34pm
Final draft...ha ha ha...I'm less than 200 words into my first draft!!! Confused I'm not really feeling this one (and I really shouldn't be on the forum!). I haven't got any advice, I'm afraid, but your story just has to be 2,500 or under. Someone in another forum mentioned that they submitted one that was about 1,200 words I think for a previous first round and got through to the second round so as long as it's not over 2,500, just use what you need. Good luck! Smile
LadyFire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:45pm
Thanks to you all the feed back and good to you all as well. How do share my story through here?
LF
ASharedNarrative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASharedNarrative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by LadyFire LadyFire wrote:

Thanks to you all the feed back and good to you all as well. How do share my story through here?

You wait.

48(ish) hours after you submit, you'll get the all-clear from NYCM staff. Once that happens, you'll see a new sub-forum for SSC review up at the top of the forums list.

There will be instructions on how to add your story to your signature then, and how to get it peer reviewed.

Don't share anything (outside of a beta read) until then.
2018 SSC
R1 G62 (Spy) - Ex Parte
LadyFire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:51pm
Thanks.
LF
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 9:50pm
Hi! The only advice I have when I get prompts out of my comfort zone / that I'm not feeling is try to retrofit them into a character/tone/setting/anything that plays to my strengths which tends to ground me if I feel like I'm flailing. I get mixed results but more often than not I've been happy with myself that I rose the challenge and I've grown as a writer. 

My partial draft is a mess right now, but I usually end up doing my best writing about 12 hours before the deadline, so I've got eons of time, lol. 

I agree with what the others posted too - my guess is that a majority of us are forcing the prompts into our story so I bet many of us may be "trying too hard" - I think I might be in my story right now, which is why I keep procrastinating and coming back to this forum.

Good luck!!
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 9:41am
With 2500 words, I'd attempt to hit about 2400 or 2450 as you cut and trim. Then you have some space to fill out missing details.

My first entry last year was 2500 words exactly, tho, and I swear I went through that thing a dozen times trying to trim words. My advice is to not let your story get that big!
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply