NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"creative development window" rule

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "creative development window" rule
    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 2:38pm
Just a quick query on the rules - is it okay to set a story (sci-fi genre in this case) in a universe which I've already created for other work?

That other work hasn't been published (except on social media), and the story itself would be entirely new, written this week.

Moreover, it could be read as a completely standalone story, not requiring any reading of the previous work I've done in the universe.

My guess is this is okay, but I just wanted to double-check before starting, as I'd hate to be banished on a technicality. :)
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
Yes, that would be acceptable as long as the story is original, written during the "creative development window", and involves the assigned genre/subject/character.  Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Good luck!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
barnabypage View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 2:15am
Thanks! And whew. :)
Blue Mass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 11:07pm
I have a similar question. I wrote a short story before this competition with the same title as the story that I am going to submit to the contest. Everything is this story that I am submitting was written (is being written) within the creative time frame. This competition has made me an even better story teller than I already am. The subject I have to write about within the story—is one I wouldn’t have come up with on my own, and the 70% part of the judgement has made me think of things I don’t think of when crafting a story. NYC Midnight, has made me write beyond myself. I love when that happens! If you could get back to me as soon as you can that would be great. I’ll still have two days to write a new story if need be.
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 11:24am
As long as the story itself is original and created during the Creative Development Window, it would be fine to include a similar title to a previously created story.  Good luck!

Edited by NYC Midnight - 02 Feb 2018 at 11:24am
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
 Post Reply Post Reply