NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Are We All Doing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 51>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Are We All Doing?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm
I'm at over 1000 words, my comedy isn't funny, the word "eulogy" (which is my subject) has just been mentioned for the first time, and I have marginally once mentioned that my MC likes extreme sports (which maybe makes him a thrill seeker...?)
In other words, I kind of hate it. Right on schedule for me, really.

How are you all doing? Feeling it? Struggling? 

Edited by Lookit There - 27 Jan 2018 at 6:44pm
Quartz_Movement View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quartz_Movement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:32pm
I'm only 1/10th of the way to my word count, but I feel good because I know the story I'm telling. Some writing that takes precedence popped up that might lead to a job so I've had to devote a bunch of time to that.
Emergent Behavior R1 H50 '18
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

I'm at over 1000 words,

Oye vey! I haven't put any words down yet so you are ahead of the game. 

Sometimes the characters make unexpected decisions once I get going, but I usually like to have a broadly defined story arc laid out in my head before I start writing. I currently know how I want to start and finish, but not entirely sure about that troublesome middle bit. I might have to just suck it up, start writing, and see what happens.

Last year for R1 I did not settle on an idea and start writing until Thursday. Still managed to eek out top of the group. I shan't rely that that kind of lightening striking twice! 
TheBeardedBard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheBeardedBard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:35pm
Brainstorming still. Waiting on an answer to a question that will determine if any of my ideas will actually work. Maybe you can help? I got boxing promoter as character, I was wondering if instead of specifying boxing, I could just make him a fight promoter? Also my subject is bootlegging, is an illegal fighting circuit enough to meet the requirements of bootlegging? 
jcpaulson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcpaulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:36pm
I have an idea I'll be workshopping and then writing last-minute. But I do want to ask some of the experienced people: I got romance, and I was wondering if anyone's ever submitted a story with a same-sex pairing and if it went over well. Advice appreciated.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by jcpaulson jcpaulson wrote:

I have an idea I'll be workshopping and then writing last-minute. But I do want to ask some of the experienced people: I got romance, and I was wondering if anyone's ever submitted a story with a same-sex pairing and if it went over well. Advice appreciated.
Being gay myself, my entries are *always* focused on gay characters. Yes, I've had same-sex romantic couples in my stories (though have never had romance or rom-com as assignments), and have never been downgraded for it.
This current story is my first that doesn't feature a gay male protagonist, and that's only because it doesn't fit the character or the story.

Edited by Lookit There - 27 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by TheBeardedBard TheBeardedBard wrote:

Brainstorming still. Waiting on an answer to a question that will determine if any of my ideas will actually work. Maybe you can help? I got boxing promoter as character, I was wondering if instead of specifying boxing, I could just make him a fight promoter? Also my subject is bootlegging, is an illegal fighting circuit enough to meet the requirements of bootlegging? 
That's a tough one. Personally, I feel like if they said boxing, it should be boxing. Not sure what all constitutes the many definitions of bootlegging. 
Maybe others have thoughts as well?
jcpaulson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcpaulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:46pm
Thanks. I'm a lesbian and I don't know if I necessarily want to write a hetero couple, but since the idea is still in the early stages, I'll see what happens.
Tunamonkeys View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tunamonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:51pm
Sci-fi/taxidermy/curmudgeon for me. I think I have a solid idea in my head, but its executing those ideas to create what I want. Also I worry that Sci-fi won't be "in your face" enough. Pinch
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by jcpaulson jcpaulson wrote:

Thanks. I'm a lesbian and I don't know if I necessarily want to write a hetero couple, but since the idea is still in the early stages, I'll see what happens.

I think you'll be fine. I've seen lots of same sex pairings in stories and they've placed based on the quality of the story. Write interesting characters and tell a good story. Period. 

I think if you are more comfortable writing a same sex pairing, then do it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 51>