NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Word/Page Maximum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adriao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Word/Page Maximum
    Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:23pm
I read the FAQs and maybe I missed it but I can't seem to find if there's a word or page limit for the submissions to the short story contest?
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by adriao adriao wrote:

I read the FAQs and maybe I missed it but I can't seem to find if there's a word or page limit for the submissions to the short story contest?

It's all there somewhere, but IIRC, round one is 2500 words. No "page max." I think.

You get a pagecount in screenplay, a wordcount in short story and flash ficiton...
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:18pm

The 12th Annual Short Story Challenge is a creative writing competition open to writers around the world.  There are 3 rounds of competition.  In the 1st Round (January 26 to February 3, 2018), writers are placed randomly in heats and are assigned a genre, subject, and character assignment.  Writers have 8 days to write an original story no longer than 2,500 words.  The judges choose a top 5 in each heat to advance to the 2nd Round (March 29 to April 1, 2018) where writers receive new assignments, only this time they have just 3 days to write a 2,000 word (maximum) short story.  Judges choose finalists from the 2nd Round to advance to the 3rd and final round of the competition where writers are challenged to write a 1,500 word (maximum) story in just 24 hours (May 11 to 12, 2018).  A panel of judges review the final round stories and overall winners are selected.  Sound like fun?  Join the competition below and get ready for January 26th!

NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:53pm
Hi Adriao,
As per the Official Rules in paragraph 13, word count for stories in each round are as follows:

13. Maximum Length of Stories - The maximum length for each individual story is different in each round of competition as outlined below. In the 1st Round, the maximum length of the stories is 2,500 words. In the 2nd Round, the maximum length is 2,000 words. In the 3rd Round, the maximum length is 1,500 words. The title page is not included in the word count and there is no minimum number of words.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Thanks and good luck if you are participating!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
bookmarky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookmarky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 11:46am
Does the word count include the title & synopsis? Should we include the word count on the title page?
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 12:28pm
No, the title and synopsis on the title page are not included in the overall word count.  Also, you do not need to display your word count in the story, though we will ask for it separately when you upload your story.  Good luck!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 12:30pm
Word counts separators like *** or --- as words.  Unless those have meaning in some language with which I am not familiar it would seem those shouldn't count, either.
 Post Reply Post Reply