NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preferred type of writing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preferred type of writing?
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
So I've seen a lot of people do both fiction and screenplay comps here - what's everyone's preferred type? This challenge was the first time I ever sat down and wrote a screenplay (though it's always been a dream). I was in the middle of working on my novel for nanowrimo for the first round, and when I was done I had a hard time getting back to the novel.

Now, 2 months later, my novel is still unfinished and I have 2 full length screenplay (super super rough) drafts and two shorts complete (not counting the two from here). One is crap, but one is pretty good, I think. So I think I love the screenwriting more, but still plan on doing the upcoming fiction challenge. Curious about others here and how you feel about it...
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
I enjoy doing both, but for some reason I stress out less for the screenwriting comps. 

I don't think I like one format better than the other (in fact, some of my fiction I could see playing better in screenplay form, and some of the scripts I've written here were screaming to be short stories). I haven't been brave enough to pursue anything full-length, either novel or feature, yet - but when I do take the plunge to commit to a big project, it may very well be a screenplay. 
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
 Post Reply Post Reply