NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which genre? Ideal, nightmare, prediction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

Someone here pointed out that the more exacting genres (political satire, historical) are going to be "graded on the curve," as it were, in that they're harder for most people.  
Yes, in some ways I would welcome a more "difficult" genre, because it'll be tough for everyone. So if you can come up with a clever angle, there is a greater opportunity to stand out.

Personally, I would rather not get action-adventure, thriller, suspense or drama. I'd find those genres restrictive for the kind of writing I prefer to do.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:29pm
I'm honestly open to anything now. I'm a bit wary of thriller, but only because there doesn't seem to be consensus about what that is (and the genre definitions don't help...Black Swan and Mission Impossible in the same bucket? Hmm). I've also written eleventy billion ghost stories for these comps, so I feel a bit tapped out there.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what happens here, so I've stopped feeling anxious about it. It's all subjective no matter what I do. I can feel like I have a good script, like I did in the first challenge, and score low/OK. Then I can throw something together last minute thinking 'whatever' and score high. It's just a weird combination of elements that have very little to do with my actual writing. So, I'll make do with whatever!

(Now watch me eat those words if I get polsat or something.)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:50pm
The last two of four comps I accurately predicted my genres (telling only my husband what I "thought" I'd get) and I was right. (FFC Round 1 I was sure I was getting Pol Satire. I did. Last round here I thought it would be A/A. Right again. Maybe I should play the lottery...)

Not committing to anything in writing until the genre assignments are announced, just in case there's a sadistic genre assigner trolling the boards. LOL  Those of you who know me well, know what I dread  most and where I feel my comfort zone is.

But I'll let you know what I think come 12:01 a.m.! 

lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:10pm
Ho boy, I've been thinking on this a lot!

Ideal:  RomCom would be a lot of fun (mostly because it's nice to create a cute world and live in it for a little while)... but I'd also enjoy trying my hand at horror!  I know there's a deep darkness inside me and it's dying to come out.  Muahahaa....

Nightmare:  Political Satire (along with everyone else!), Crime Caper or Mystery.  None of those feel like they would come naturally to me.  I LOVE watching Monk, and Psych, and X-Files -- but to write one?? Ack!  I'm not that clever!

Prediction:  Ghost Story.  But that's a shot in the dark; I don't have a great sense about these things!
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:41pm
Ideal for me is always going to be horror or sci-fi. Though in short script I always get both praise and criticism for world-building (good, but takes to much time), so let's say horror for this particular round.

My Nightmares are crime caper (too damn much to fit in 5 pages), historical fiction (research in addition to writing in 48 hours), and my new addition to this category - mystery (combines both issues is one awful package).

Prediction for the coming round? Historical fiction or mystery. Simply because I'll have less time than usual since I'm going out of town and spending the weekend with my family and four other couples and their kids - all under 5. 
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:40pm
Anybody know how many groups there will be for this upcoming round? 

150 people made it through this time, yes? (30 groups x 5 advancing in each group). Would they do 10 groups of 15, and then final round is the Top 50? 

(I checked back to the last Screenplay comp... Screenplay Round 2 had 10 groups... which meant a couple of genres went away....a couple of dread genres, in fact...) 

lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
Iirc, last year there were 5 groups of 30. There were only 25 in the finals.
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

Iirc, last year there were 5 groups of 30. There were only 25 in the finals.

Oh wow. So very different from Screenplay.

The good news. Five groups - fewer genres. Hopefully they will be kind in their assignments.

The bad news. Insane competition.

lisafoxiswriting.com
tomsk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:20pm
Not sci-fi, not sci-fi, not sci-fi, not sci-fi. Please. Not. sci-fi.

Prediction. Sci-fi
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:57pm
3 minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>