NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which genre? Ideal, nightmare, prediction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which genre? Ideal, nightmare, prediction
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:09am
Yeah, I know we do a variation of this every time. But I still find it fun.

For the next round, what genre are you hoping for, what are you dreading and what's your prediction?

For me:

Ideal: Comedy. I just really fancy trying it, especially in script form. Never done it, really want to give it a go. It would challenge me but (I think) would be a lot of fun.

Nightmare: Drama. Having almost bombed out on drama on the last round, and having bombed out on drama in the other screenplay comp, I really don't want it again. I find it the most... insipid genre. It does nothing for me.

Prediction: Crime caper. I seem to get this a lot...
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

Ideal: Comedy. I just really fancy trying it, especially in script form. Never done it, really want to give it a go. It would challenge me but (I think) would be a lot of fun.

I'm not sure I'm buying this Rossiny. Your ballroom heist was hardly straight-faced.

I would actually really like RomCom. That was my first ever NYCM assignment and my only ever 15-pointer. Plus I've done enough bleak endings lately. For that reason I'd be sad to draw horror from the hat.

Edited by Tim G - 12 Jan 2018 at 10:14am
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:13am
I've been pondering what I'd like to get for a while, and I think I'm ready for some horror. I've never actually done it, yet I grew up reading Stephen King and his ilk.

So ideal: Horror.

Nightmare: Political Satire (as always - it's really the only genre I DON'T WANT)

Prediction: Romance. For some reason, I feel like this is happening. Now.
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:19am

Yeah, I know we do a variation of this every time. But I still find it fun.

For the next round, what genre are you hoping for, what are you dreading and what's your prediction?

For me:

Nightmare: Drama. Having almost bombed out on drama on the last round, and having bombed out on drama in the other screenplay comp, I really don't want it again. I find it the most... insipid genre. It does nothing for me.

Prediction: Crime caper. I seem to get this a lot...

On capers: you've done well with them, too.
On drama: I was dreading it until I got it. And rocked it somewhat decently. The key is to take an "easy" dramatic theme (I picked grief+cancer), and put your twist on it. Drama is one of the genres that I wouldn't mind getting again, now.
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

I'm not sure I'm buying this Rossiny. Your ballroom heist was hardly straight-faced.

Oh I've certainly brought in comedic elements to my capers - and loved doing it. But I've never written an out-and-out comedy - one that explicitly has to be funny because, well, that's the genre. Would love to give it a go.

R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
bksamples View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bksamples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:36am
Ideal: Horror. For some reason, I find that horror just lends itself to the short film format more than other genres. Plus, I simply get a kick out of cooking up freaky characters and situations. 

Nightmare: I'm a little torn between political satire and comedy. Both of those intimidate me quite a bit.

Prediction: Crime caper. Can't say why, but I just have a feeling. 
bksamples View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bksamples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:40am
When it comes to political satire, my biggest fear is coming up blank on ideas. Perhaps if I were more aware of current events it would be easier, but even then, a lot depends on the location/object. 

What scares you about the genre?
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by bksamples bksamples wrote:

When it comes to political satire, my biggest fear is coming up blank on ideas. Perhaps if I were more aware of current events it would be easier, but even then, a lot depends on the location/object. 

What scares you about the genre?

I just wouldn't know where to start. I follow politics a little, but that's it. It doesn't interest, captivate or move me in any way. I just dread it... But hey. I'll make do if I get it, right? LOL

On horror: Check out the weird shorts by Blumkamp's Oats Studios, on YouTube. Some sci-fi, too, but a lot of good stuff in short form.
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:07am
Someone here pointed out that the more exacting genres (political satire, historical) are going to be "graded on the curve," as it were, in that they're harder for most people.  

IDEAL: I'd actually love to try Historical, because I'm weird like that.

NIGHTMARE: Used to be comedy, but I wrote a practice script to see if I could actually do something funny for 5 pages straight. It was okay. So now? Crime caper, maybe. Intricate plotting eats time.

PREDICTION: Statistically speaking, most common draws this round were Sci-fi, Horror, Ghost Story and Drama. No idea how random it is. So...Romance. Tongue
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

PREDICTION: Statistically speaking, most common draws this round were Sci-fi, Horror, Ghost Story and Drama. No idea how random it is. So...Romance. Tongue

Yeah! We'll be in the same group, then! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>