NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Comp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:27pm
All signed up! Can’t wait!
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

This FFC is my first foray into NYCM. It's been so much fun! I'm going to try short story, but I think the expanded word limit is going to be strange. 

Ooh, be careful. Last year's FFC was my first time with NYCM, too, and since then I've done SSC, both screenplays, back at FFC again this year, and well.. Yeah.  It's addictive. But a blast! Hope to see you in Short Story! :) 

FFC was my first. Got hooked and did SSC, now I'm pretty sure I have no choice but to try short story as well :) totally addicted.
Mickey T View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:16pm
I'm in Thumbs Up I've had a blast with FFC and I'm looking forward to the extra word count!
Microfiction 2020 - Round 2: The Bearer
Microfiction 2020 - Round 1: Old Dog
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:26pm

Dates are up for Round 1 - January 26 through February 3 - and registration is NOW OPEN.

Be sure to do the social media share for the discount!

Just FYI, for anyone interested!
January 2018s SSC will be my fourth in a row. The current FFC is my fourth as well. I've never tried screenwriting or screenplay. I'm looking forward to the longer format in January. 
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:01am
I'm really tempted to do this. I'm far more comfortable with the longer word count, as I feel the 1000-word limit of FFC really forces me to strip my prose style back more than I"m comfortable with so i can fit in More Things Happening. Does anyone know - what does the 'field' look like compared to FFC? More competitors? Less? 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

I'm really tempted to do this. I'm far more comfortable with the longer word count, as I feel the 1000-word limit of FFC really forces me to strip my prose style back more than I"m comfortable with so i can fit in More Things Happening. Does anyone know - what does the 'field' look like compared to FFC? More competitors? Less? 

Last year, it was big - probably about as big as FFC. Difference is, it's sudden death round by round - no points, but the top 5 from each group advance to the next. Instead of an object and a location, it's a character and a theme. So I had Comedy, Rejection, and Self-Help Guru. It was probably the story I had the most fun writing although I ended up with an Honorable Mention and didn't move forward. 

It's worth it. 
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:20am
There was around 100 groups last year, IIRC. Judging by the forum section, at least... 

Feedback timeline must be atrocious... The wait. The killing wait.
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm

Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

Last year, it was big - probably about as big as FFC. Difference is, it's sudden death round by round - no points, but the top 5 from each group advance to the next. Instead of an object and a location, it's a character and a theme. So I had Comedy, Rejection, and Self-Help Guru. It was probably the story I had the most fun writing although I ended up with an Honorable Mention and didn't move forward. 

It's worth it. 

Ooooh, thanks for clearing that up! The character and theme definitely sounds more flexible than object/location, and I got 29 points this time in round 1/2 so I might progress through at least the first round... the sudden death thing sounds really scary and I’m just terrified I’ll bomb out and write something sh*te. But you never know unless you try, right?
Gra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:55pm
Having discovered previously unknown levels of stress during the Flash Fiction challenge, I've now commited to joining the madness for the Short Story challenge. This is one sick addiction ... hope there's a cure.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Gra Gra wrote:

Having discovered previously unknown levels of stress during the Flash Fiction challenge, I've now commited to joining the madness for the Short Story challenge. This is one sick addiction ... hope there's a cure.

Looking at your avatar, I can only think of one cure... more cowbell. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>