NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Location worry spiral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Balabean Balabean wrote:

I smashed my pier to bits around 700 words in and the rest is pier-less. Oh no, the spiral is intensifying....

That sounds awesome. I think you're safe.
readingrid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:48am
Some of my past stories barely mentioned the location or object (but did so in a way that was obvious I didn't tack it on) and I have scored pretty well. 

Don't worry, worriers!
angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:50am
No worries--- last challenge my climax took place in the location, and that was all.

It was an important location, but not where most of the story took place.

I scored 15 points.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:52am
Yeah, I think you're fine with 700/1000 words. 70% is most definitely predominant! :-)
Archon1995 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archon1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:55am
I've done well with stories where the location is a key aspect, but not necessarily taking place *at* the location for much of the story.
[insert pithy quote here]
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:59am
Over the years I always ensure 50% of the story is in the given location, never had an issue.

This time around, I got a "graduation ceremony".  The first quarter is set during a graduation day - but just after the "ceremony." The second quarter takes part entirely during a graduation ceremony. The third quarter is set during a graduation ceremony but the character having a flashback to an illcit weekend away. The final quarter is a funeral...although there is talk of it being the characters final "graduation".

As long as you don't ignore the setting totally, no problem.  And creativity definitely scores well, I remember one year a setting of a ship and the winning story was set on a ship shaped climbing frame in a park...or the object of a Fridge, where the setting was a club called The Fridge...

Edited by DBA Lehane - 13 Nov 2017 at 12:06pm
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Balabean Balabean wrote:

I smashed my pier to bits around 700 words in and the rest is pier-less. Oh no, the spiral is intensifying....

Ah but is it peerless?
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
jftrent View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jftrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm
I didn't realize that one of the groups got "a family restroom" as their location.  That would have annoyed me greatly.  
CH1, Gr16: The Means of Production
CH2, Gr16: Crutches
CH3, Gr1: Displacement
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by jftrent jftrent wrote:

I didn't realize that one of the groups got "a family restroom" as their location.  That would have annoyed me greatly.  

On the contrary, I think we were all positively thrilled to get it.

*Miranda look to camera*
HeatherHaze View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherHaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:30pm
I think it's fine to move around a bit, as long as the assigned location plays a significant part in the telling of the story. I can't think of any of my stories that stayed in the assigned location the whole time. In the first round, my location was a lake house, but all of the action actually took place in a sheriff's office. The lake house only appeared in the dialogue, as the scene of an earlier crime. My second story was written in diary format, and although the assigned location was central to the plot, some key parts of the story took place elsewhere. So there's definitely some flexibility there. I think the most important thing is to use the prompts creatively. They should be prominent, but they don't need to weigh you down. Think of them as sails, rather than anchors. :)
)-|-( Heather Haze
MFC-100 2021 Round 2: Irreconcilable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>