NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Location worry spiral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Location worry spiral
    Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:19am
I'm now worried about how much I used my location in the story! I had a fishing pier. My character is there for most of it but I did go into back story which wasn't on the pier, more in and around the Lake. Is there a percentage of the narrative that must take place on a fishing pier?
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Balabean Balabean wrote:

I'm now worried about how much I used my location in the story! I had a fishing pier. My character is there for most of it but I did go into back story which wasn't on the pier, more in and around the Lake. Is there a percentage of the narrative that must take place on a fishing pier?

You'll be fine. If it's the prominent location, you've got no problems.

FYI I had the same prompts, and yeah similarly there's a little back and forth between the pier and elsewhere. Looking forward to reading yours!
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:56am
My C1 story was set up like yours. Scored 15pts. You're fine.

And there was fishing involved too! I'll make sure to pop by and read your story!
jibwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:44am
I'm very nervous as well. My location is integral but not predominant. Hoping the other elements carry me through!
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:49am
I think I've completely blown my location prompt. It's the setting for a pivotal moment, but not most of the story.

Toilet group. Nuff said. #tgs
jibwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

I think I've completely blown my location prompt. It's the setting for a pivotal moment, but not most of the story.

Well, we are supposed to use the prompts creatively. If nothing else it'll be a change of pace for the judges. Right? Maybe? I feel like I'm only feeding the spiral...
jennmcg72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennmcg72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

My location appears only in the main character's flashback. The rest of the action occurs elsewhere.

Sigh.... In the flusher with you....
R1,G37,1st Reunited
R2,G7 A Fashionable Web

roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:19am
I actually did a word count, and about 425 words take place in the fish market. The rest is running around a boardwalk and an island in close proximity (it's action/adventure), but then I reference the fish market again at the end. Anyway, a little less than half of the story takes place at the assigned location, but I still feel it's acceptable. We'll see what the judges think.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:22am
I fretted over this as well. I had around 610 out of 995 words centered around the rollercoaster scene. The rest was in the amusement park at large. Let's hope for the best! 
Balabean View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:43am
I smashed my pier to bits around 700 words in and the rest is pier-less. Oh no, the spiral is intensifying....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>