NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Action/Adventure Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonzo Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Action/Adventure Question
    Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 1:04pm
When cutting elements out of Action/Adventure, which is more important to maintain:
* Character moments
* Atmosphere
* Set pieces

I know every judge is different, but this seems like it could be the one genre where linear story points (and "formula") trumps the human element.
angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 1:30pm
This is entirely based on my personal experience and preference, not based on anything specifically regarding the competition.  
That said, I did create an action/adventure piece for round 1 that was heavily character-focused, and 2 of my 3 judges commented positively on that aspect of my story.  

But I always feel that the character element trumps all else.  If the reader doesn't care about or root for the character, then I find that the action and adventure element isn't as interesting.  It could be something as simple as your character doing a small act of kindness so we know that he or she is someone we want to survive.  I'd be happy to take a look at a draft if you'd like any more specific feedback.  

Good luck!!!
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:15pm
I say just focus on telling a kinetic story. Action defines character. You can establish your character and their motives through action alone, especially at 1,500 words. Set up a situation, a conflict, something to overcome, and a reason for the protaganist to overcome (this is your human element).
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I say just focus on telling a kinetic story. Action defines character. You can establish your character and their motives through action alone, especially at 1,500 words. Set up a situation, a conflict, something to overcome, and a reason for the protaganist to overcome (this is your human element).

You meant 1000 words, right?
Alonzo Mosley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonzo Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:21pm
Thanks. My guess is, for "character", though, strip away everything that doesn't directly relate to the specific quest - for both pro- and antagonists.

Which I guess is always good advice anyway.
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:38pm
I'm also struggling. I feel like the action has maybe been sacrificed somewhat at the expense of building the character's backstory, but without it, there's not really much of a story. it's very important to establish who she is and where she's come from.
Alonzo Mosley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonzo Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:53pm
Oddly enough, my antagonist wears an ugly pantsuit.

Which will be cut for space. (The description, not the fabric).
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Alonzo Mosley Alonzo Mosley wrote:

Oddly enough, my antagonist wears an ugly pantsuit.

Which will be cut for space. (The description, not the fabric).

Hah! I love it. Is it set in the '80s? ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply