NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contest rule compliance: responsibility.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NinjaHero View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 10:23am
I think we should all care that this person quit the competition. If some of us are playing by the rules and penalizing ourselves, then it matters. This contest is for money, not for free. Fair play is essential.

If it turns out you can skirt your genre and turn in a 2000 word story and win, then what is the point of this contest?
stupidmick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stupidmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 10:14am
Sounds like some sour grapes to me... Does anyone really care that this person quit the competition?
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 7:59am
Just one question -- how can you know the text of all the stories that won?  Not everyone posted?

Also, (and I mean this), I would love to hear your critique of my story in the event you think it falls into one of the "non-compliances" you state.  I would be happy to email you a PDF copy of my story (second place, group 9, challenge 1), and would be happy to read yours and provide feedback.

I will note that while a couple groups had what I thought were glaring misses on ratings, I can't really know for sure how this all worked since we can't see all the stories.  We're pretty far up the "meta" river here -- how can one state with certainty what good judging is?

Thanks,
JoeK
alexander View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:45am
ummm    ok then....
abc-xyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abc-xyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:22am
All,

This post is for your information only.

I sent the below e-mail message to nycmmm@msn.com on Friday, September 05, 2008 3:41 PM.

Today is Monday, September 08, 2008, 11:20 p.m., and I have not received a response.

---------------------------------------------------------

Administrators of the NYC Midnight flash fiction contest,

I am a professional who does peer review of creative and technical efforts of nationally- and internationally-known people in a specialized field. I am a judge and a jury rolled into one. I am bound by law, as well as ethics defined by my licensure.

If I make a mistake and fail to catch non-compliances, not one, not dozens, not hundreds, but thousands of lives will be at stake, which 20th and 21st century history has proven as fact.

Also, I have half a decade of experience with flash fiction writing, editing, and critiquing. I have published nearly 50 stories in reputable printed and internet magazines. I am not an expert, far from it. However, in my humble opinion, I bring some level of experience to the table.

In the past four weeks, I have read everyone's Forum posts and made a number of notes about their stories which I have kept to myself. Some posts were spot-on regarding compliance with the rules, but a fair number were not. In addition, I made positive and negative constructive comments about story lines (some of which, by the way, were quite good), but these are off-point for this communication.

This morning, I was gravely disappointed when I saw who placed in Challenge #1 of Round #1. [rev. 09/10/08. I was referring to problems/issues with the stories with respect to the fuzzy rules, NOT the (good) *quality* of the stories.]

In the top placing stories [09/08/08 11:10 a.m. rev., based on those that were posted], I found the following non-compliances and problems/issues:
1. Incorrect genres for which the judges should have
    least heavily docked the scores if not disqualified
    the stories,
2. Plots with huge holes/gaps/inconsistencies,
3. Long, flowery run-on sentences that seem atypical of
    flash fiction, some with rambling qualities,
4. Synopses much longer than the two-sentence maximum
    and synopses presented as summaries not log lines,
5. Texts that needed major proofreading, and
6. Presentations which were visually difficult, i.e.,
    indents, line spacing, and other things which were
    jumbled up. First impressions should be
    everything. We shouldn't have to struggle to see
    what's in front of us.

Word count? Some stories may have gone over the 1000 maximum, for which the entries would have been docked 10% in points or disqualified, according to two contradictory rules.

My story's rating? Irrelevant. I have already identified several good markets and will be publishing it exactly as written for this contest in a quality print magazine or ezine. [09/06/08, post-script: Story submitted.]

I have chosen to withdraw from this contest, because I don't know how the playing field was, is, or will be defined. What are the rules? I decline to compete in anything in which the rules are changed without informing me as I go.

I strongly recommend that the judges raise the bar back to at least include and enforce the rules that were posted for this contest. Disqualification of entries is in the rules and it should used for non-compliant stories, until a penalty system for points is developed.

I advise the contest administrators to tighten up the rules either from here on in or for the next contest. All ambiguity, fuzziness, omissions, and contradictions should be addressed.

If you would like me to review and critique revisions in the rules, I would be pleased to do so.

Thank you for reviewing my observations and seriously considering how to implement my recommendations.

Sincerely,

------
p.s. 9/10/2008 -- Still no response.

Edited by abc-xyz - 10 Sep 2008 at 11:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345