NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What genre did you get for each round?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewShootsScores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:47pm
My first time writing flash fiction... and doing a writing competition of any sort. Am now hooked and wish I could do this every weekend! (Ok, not really EVERY weekend... but maybe once a month.)*

FFC 2017 #1: Romance (1 point)
FFC 2017 #2: Drama

My writing gravitates toward more comedic and absurd... so these were rough for me. (That's the point, though, right?) I was actually hoping that I'd land something "fun" like Spy, SciFi, Crime Caper or Historical Fiction. (I'm weird like that.)

* Did the summer Fiction War competition and got an honorable mention, which was nice. Going to suit up for the Fall FW competition too.
News You Can Use (2022 FFC / R2 / suspense)
All NYCM Stories
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:47pm
I've done three (including this one) FFC's and two SSC's.

FFC 1: Horror
      2: RomCom
      3: Drama

SSC 1:Horror
FFC 1: Drama
      2: Thriller

SSC 1: Comedy
       2: Horror
       3: Open (horror/ghost?)
FFC 1: RomCom
      2: Fairytale

I was actually excited to get fairytale this time. Yay! Something different!

mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by AndrewShootsScores AndrewShootsScores wrote:

* Did the summer Fiction War competition and got an honorable mention, which was nice. Going to suit up for the Fall FW competition too.

Congrats on your HM! What are the prompts for the Fiction War competition like? Is it a scenario, or something more like this where you're given a location/object/genre? Which contest do you prefer? What are the significant differences? I'm loving this one so much; I'm considering taking part in that one too!Smile
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mhelgens mhelgens wrote:

Congrats on your HM! What are the prompts for the Fiction War competition like? Is it a scenario, or something more like this where you're given a location/object/genre? Which contest do you prefer? What are the significant differences? I'm loving this one so much; I'm considering taking part in that one too!Smile

Following! I've signed up for Fiction War, too! (And Yeah Write, and Short Screenplay... my family is going to disown me).
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Following! I've signed up for Fiction War, too! (And Yeah Write, and Short Screenplay... my family is going to disown me).

I am also doing all of those! October and November are going to be great! Haha.
#amrevising
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:58pm

I'm glad I'm not the only glutton for punishment.
I signed up for Summer Fiction War but didn't submit due to a family emergency. Looking forward to trying it this time. And Yeah Write.

Didn't sign up for Screen Play because I wouldn't even know how to write one...
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Yahoo! SmileSmile  I'm in good company!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:03pm

Yahoo! SmileSmile  I'm in good company!

I swore I wasn't going to since Sept/Oct is supposed to be book-editing finale...but then I saw peer pressure and clicked some buttons.
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I signed up for Summer Fiction War but didn't submit due to a family emergency. Looking forward to trying it this time. And Yeah Write.

Not knowing how to write one is the best part of writing a screenplay! I taught myself how to write one for last year's Screenwriting contest, and it was SO much fun. That being said...it probably would be trickier to teach yourself in two days instead of eight. Confused

Edited by steph9289 - 19 Sep 2017 at 9:18pm
#amrevising
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Not knowing how to write one is the best part of writing a screenplay! I taught myself how to write one for last year's Screenplay contest, and it was SO much fun. That being said...it probably would be trickier to teach yourself in two days instead of eight. Confused

Me too. My first time in screenplay was last year and certainly not my last. It makes you think so much differently when approaching the story - almost like it uses a different part of your brain. I know I need to work on dialogue and not over-writing; screenplay helps a lot with that

I agree, it was better to start with the longer competition and get the feel for what it's like. 

I haven't yet done FW or Yeah Write but I like the idea of working with different types of prompts than what we find on here. 

Three comps in a few weeks' period is going to drive my family crazy. I suppose it's my due now, though, given all the time my husband spends on fantasy sports...
lisafoxiswriting.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>