NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Unfortunately, the only thing I can say about that is "every judge is different" -- I've had judges that have specifically commented on my use of location and object, and others that seem to ignore it. 

I would have to echo this sentiment. Trying to figure out what the judges "want" will make you crazy. 

Case in point. My feedback for my third round FF story last year went a little like this:

Judge 1: Your story was exceptionally successful because of Device A.
Judge 2: The use of Device A was a disservice to your story.

The. Same. Dang. Thing.

Best advice - do you. Write the story you want. That's where your best writing is going to come from anyways.

THIS^^  - always this. I had a very similar experience in the short story comp where I had COMPLETELY contradictory judge feedback. And it's frustrating.

But every judge is human. Every judge is different. And like Forest Gump said, it's like a box of chocolates- you never know what you're going to get.  Write something that YOU feel good about. 

And be happy you got points. You stand a fighting chance to move on.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:01pm
In my reading of others stories, specific to genre, it is plain that the judges do not follow the rules listed for the judging.  I have read stories that really did not qualify as the genre score well, stories that did not have much meat, as far as a story, score well.  I believe that the judges think they are cats.  That said, if they told us how a story scored using the percentages they list in the rules, and included that with our feedback, it would make for a clearer understanding of what we needed to improve, instead of the useless feedback they give us now.

Edited by Suave - 14 Sep 2017 at 9:03pm
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
If we knew what the judges were looking for, this contest would be a massive tie for 1st Place - 15s all around! That said, you can't write for the judges. I did that last year (political satire) and got a big fat zero. One of the judges' critique made me so furious that during the next round I thought, screw it, and wrote totally for myself. Got a 15! 
WRITE FOR YOURSELF.
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:25pm
I've decided I don't enter the competitions to get the judges feedback or the score.  I agree with all previous comments re the contradictory opinions offered by judges.  I enter them because this forum is priceless.  Thank you for making it worthwhile regardless of outcome! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12